Rematch request button/option in matchmaking games

Hello, contributors! First of all, thank you for the amazing work you’re doing.

We had an idea that could help 3- and 4-player teams get good matchmaking setups more often.
Similar to the withdrawal/surrender button, a "rematch" button would be nice. When pressed, all players would be prompted to indicate their interest in a rematch. If everyone agrees, the game would officially end, with the team that requested the rematch considered the losing side (similar to the withdrawal). After that, all players would be re-paired in the same teams for a rematch.

What do you think?

Matchmaking rankings' validity is dependent on the randomness of its matchups. If you take away this randomness you undermine the integrity of the leaderboards and its underlying rating system.

@stormlantern Certainly if a match was made once, the same match directly after would be 'valid' enough?

I can see problems when the same two teams play a long series of games against eachother, but realistically you'll get 2-3 matches before people have to leave or want to do something else. I can't imagine that would really cause any issues.

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

Under natural circumstances it wouldn't cause many issues, but it is prone to abuse

frick snoops!

@indexlibrorum

I don't think its valid enough actually. Matchmaking should be as randomized as possible. The fact that you can queue as a party already diminishes that somewhat. I don't think it would be good to add to that. After all, we have custom games for players who want to set up their game in a specific way.

@stormlantern said in Rematch request button/option in matchmaking games:

After all, we have custom games for players who want to set up their game in a specific way.

So this proposal could be a streamlined way of doing just that - the rematch would count for global rating rather than ladder. But since the feature could be limited to ladder games only then you wouldn't get a further rematch option, so any rating manipulation potential is going to be very limited.

@blade_walker

That I have no issues with. Not sure how hard it would be to implement though. Probably pretty hard. And doesnt seem likely to get used a lot by players tbh.