Is there a workaround or override ?

All of the units shown in the build menu provide a DPS and Burst damage values based upon the units BP weapon values. Which don't get me wrong is really great. That being said, I've encountered a problem with this system when using a large number of dummy weapons. Soon as i mouse over an Engineer build icon for the unit i get the following..

WARNING: Error running HandleEvent script in CScriptObject at 1ddb6180: ...ever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\unitviewdetail.lua(616): attempt to perform arithmetic on local `MuzzleCount' (a nil value)
         stack traceback:
         	...ever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\unitviewdetail.lua(616): in function `WrapAndPlaceText'
         	...ever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\unitviewdetail.lua(792): in function `Show'
         	...orever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\ui\game\construction.lua(1165): in function `OnRolloverEvent'
         	...mdata\faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\maui\button.lua(96): in function <...mdata\faforever\gamedata\lua.nx2\lua\maui\button.lua:77>

The unit in question is the 4DFAF Death Tentacle. It uses 12 dummy weapons to simulate the movements of a tentacle. With the 13th weapon being the main muzzle for the entire assembly.

Note will post a video with files shortly.

Edit (files) XSB2306.zip

Edit (video should be viewable soon'ish) https://youtu.be/P_Fb5vpBY74

Resin

Been doing some digging into this and have discovered that the issue is that the dummy weapons I'm using are missing:

MuzzleChargeDelay = 0,
			MuzzleSalvoDelay = 0,
			MuzzleSalvoSize = 1,

Looks like the unitviewdetail.lua may not be seeing that this isn't a real weapon. Though I should be able to get the unit to work but the UI built menu will show all of the dummy weapons. See image below to confirm...

f3e13dc1-70d4-4891-8a45-7b246a24a014-image.png

Unfortunately I can't use the weapon blueprint "DummyWeapon = true," as this would prevent the weapons from moving.

Within unitviewdetail.lua i see there are exceptions like...

Line 651

-- Do not display Reload stats for Kamikaze weapons
elseif info.WeaponCategory == 'Kamikaze' then

Would it be possible to script in an exception for weapons that are being used as motion actors, such as is the case with the Beam Tentacle ?

Would it not be easier to just prohibit the UI from displaying Dummy Weapons in the rollover ?

@Resin_Smoker
If you remove the WeaponCategory field entirely, it won't show the weapons in unitviewdetail (see line 532 of that file). Does that solution work for you?

@sprouto said in Is there a workaround or override ?:

Would it not be easier to just prohibit the UI from displaying Dummy Weapons in the rollover ?

He's using the weapons' AimManipulator functionality for animations, so they're not actually dummy weapons, they just have WeaponCategory = 'DummyWeapon', which is why they show up in the UI.

That unit does look great! I'm sure @CDRMV would love to see it too

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip thanks!

Unfortunately it's still pretty buggy as getting all those turrets to work together consistently is like hurding cats.

@Resin_Smoker
Looks really similar like my Cybran Worms 😉
However there are able to Move below the Land Layer (Underground).
So there are Not an Stationary Defense compared to your Seraphim Tentacle.
Here are two Screenshots of them:
74e2e81c-650a-45c6-a3bd-cf445a8a65f2-image.png
e434c698-9144-4f1b-b2ab-314ad3dc6689-image.png
Both are already included in CSK Units on my GitHub Repository for Early Access.
So If you want feel free to Check them Out.

If you want I could Integrate your Seraphim Beam Tentacle as an Underground Unit into CSK Units. It needs a few Changes by myself but I think it would be more Interesting to be usable an full Underground Unit.

I've made progress and have gotten the turret to behave. I may post a video in the coming days.