process affinity

Hello, in my logs it says "info: Process - Failed to update the process affinity, this may impact your framerate". Any idea why and how to solve it ? game_22083238.log

The warning originates from here:

if SetProcessPriority and GetProcessAffinityMask and SetProcessAffinityMask then

-- priority values can be found at:
    -- - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/processthreadsapi/nf-processthreadsapi-setpriorityclass
    local success = SetProcessPriority(0x00000080)
    if success then
        LOG("Process - priority set to: 'high'")
    else
        LOG("Process - Failed to adjust process priority, this may impact your framerate")
    end

-- affinity values acts like a bit mask, we retrieve the mask and 
    -- shift it if we think there are sufficient computing units
    local success, processAffinityMask, systemAffinityMask = GetProcessAffinityMask();
    if success then
        -- system has 24 (logical) computing units or more, skip the first two computing units and all cores beyond the first 24. We need 
        -- to do this because of floating point imprecision - we simply can't deduct a few digits to prevent using the first two cores
        if systemAffinityMask >= 16777215 then
            processAffinityMask = 16777212 -- 2 ^ 24 - 3 - 1

-- system has 6 (logical) computing units or more, skip first two computing units
        elseif (systemAffinityMask >= 63) then
            processAffinityMask = systemAffinityMask - 3 -- (2 ^ 6 - 1) - 3
        end

-- update the afinity mask
        if processAffinityMask != systemAffinityMask then
            local success = SetProcessAffinityMask(processAffinityMask);
            if success then
                LOG("Process - affinity set to: " .. tostring(processAffinityMask))
            else
                LOG("Process - Failed to adjust the process affinity, this may impact your framerate")
            end
        else
            LOG("Process - Failed to update the process affinity, this may impact your framerate") <-------------------------
        end
    else
        LOG("Process - Failed to retrieve the process affinity, this may impact your framerate")
    end
else
    LOG("Process - Failed to find process priority and affinity related functions, this may impact your framerate")
end

What CPU do you have, and do you use software to adjust the affinity manually?

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

i have i5 2500k, i dont use any software to adjust it manualy

Oh, that makes sense then - the CPU has only 4 cores and then this feature is disabled. The feature disables the first core because the first core is also used by a lot of other processes. This may cause stutters. But it is only enabled when the CPU has at a minimum of 6 or more cores. The reason for that is simple: if you have 4 and you drop one then 3 may not be sufficient to run the game smoothly at all.

In your case, the warning is meaningless in my opinion 🙂 .

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned