Visible Attack-Move Reclaim Range

I didn't see this in any recent discussions. I learned the hard way that using Attack Move on my Engies has a few quirks.

For example, dragging the Order through tree groups will often result in moving through those trees en route to the final target point, thus destroying them. Dragging a long Attack Move through rocks works fine. Additionally, the reclaim range of Attack Move is many times greater than Patrol or manual reclaim, almost ridiculously so.

I'm actually surprised this was never addressed, so is there a technical block on editing this function? If not, then I suggest adding a ring around the target point of Attack Move, showing the reclaim range.

@immortal-d said in Visible Attack-Move Reclaim Range:

If not, then I suggest adding a ring around the target point of Attack Move, showing the reclaim range.

You can do that with advanced camera stuff (ui mod) and it is already part of the next version.
https://forum.faforever.com/topic/4705/upcoming-developers-patch/2

You have to hold ctrl (or maybe shift? can't remember) for it to show the rings.

For example, dragging the Order through tree groups will often result in moving through those trees en route to the final target point

I believe this is only for attack move out of factory, which only reclaims things at the end of the attack move, not on the way.

dditionally, the reclaim range of Attack Move is many times greater than Patrol or manual reclaim, almost ridiculously so.

That is also only the case with factory attack move which has double the range, due to an engine bug (so also hard to fix).

Dragging a long Attack Move through rocks works fine

That's how the normal attack move works. It should walk to the target point and reclaim anything that gets in range (and sometimes some more🤷).

Latest version of Additional camera stuff shows when alt is pressed

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

@genos oh do shift or ctrl show different rings then?
probably build or attack range and i got confused?

Sweet! I knew that ACS was being integrated, was not aware that Attack Move ring was a separate command (I am currently using the default of shift-alt). Edit: adding Ctrl does not have any effect (that I can see). ctrl-shift-alt both shows reclaim and creates the attack at the same time. I'll definitely be checking documentation when the current Dev. build is live.

Tips on attack move, put it where you want the engie to stand.

For example, dragging the Order through tree groups will often result in moving through those trees en route to the final target point, thus destroying them.

Maybe you just had power and mass storage more than 80% full?

Edit: Tho you say "dragging order" as if it was attack move from factory
Attack move from factory is different and weird, engineers on attack move from factory most of the time just move toward that rally point and then from that point they reclaim stuff with extended range.

Giving engineer another order will disrupt "attack move from factory" and you will able to only give normal attack move, thats why people drag attack move from factory, that way it does not break this "...from factory" part and engineer keeps extended range

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd