Steam token expired

Hi, I kind of deleted myself from FAF, and now I am thinking of coming back, but I can't link my steam account because the token has expired, and FAF devs didn't think of this, I guess.

So, I am here: https://www.faforever.com/account/connect

I try clicking "Link your FAF account to Steam", and it doesn't do anything, but I have the "Sign into api.faforever.com using your Steam account" URL in my history, and when I hit "Sign in" there, I get:

{
"requestId": "4744048e-517a-45de-933f-40a406c92713",
"errors": [
{
"status": "422",
"title": "Invalid operation",
"detail": "The delivered token has expired.",
"code": "136"
}
]
}

Assuming you are the former user Melanol that asked for deletion, which we cannot check because - in that case - all traces of a user called Melanol were deleted as requested from our brains database, we did think about users registering after deletion. Once linked, steam ids do not become linkable again and Its probably just the error message is wrong.

The steam id cannot be reused ever again, otherwise the "right to be forgotten" turns into a "right to get my rating reset" which would be an unacceptable loophole.

Demanding all your data to be deleted is a double edged sword and any user who does this will have to live with the consequences. (It's not like any user who wants to stop playing could have asked for a self-implied but reversible permanban: this is the applied solution in the gambling industry)

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000 Damn, that's brutal. Bye.

I imagine using another steam account and buying the game again would work?

This shit definitely needs improvements. It was just an experiment to me. I didn't expect all my edits on the wiki to be erased and my steam account blocked forever. I fucking clean my browser history everyday, it doesn't block my account. And there was no "This is what will happen if you proceed", it was just "Send an email there", I sent, I receive a response email with "Done" and details about what just happened. And all this to protect poor noobs from smurfs?

Consider this to be my feedback on the feature, trying to change this administration's mind is a waste of time, and I don't care enough. I am gonna play BAR and wait for Sanctuary.

As mentioned earlier a lot of your wiki edits are still there. See also (1, 2, and 3) They're not deleted, instead it is just no longer attached to your previous or current account. This is why they are gone when you log back into the Wiki.

@melanol said in Steam token expired:

It was just an experiment to me.

With all due respect - asking to delete all of your data / references is not exactly something to experiment on. You could've just asked what would happen to satisfy your hypothesis. Actually asking to delete your data has consequences.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@melanol said in Steam token expired:

It was just an experiment to me.

Well that's not a very smart thing to do.

"Design is an iterative process. The required number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

See all my projects:

10+ years ago one would have just marked your account for deletion and kept all of your data. However modern privacy protection law of the European Union demands permanent deletion/de-referencing of your personal data with all the other data if the user demands it.

We have to follow the law, whether we want it or not.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@indexlibrorum OK, OK. It wasn't an experiment. I have a crazy human being wanting to kill me or at least ruin my life. I had a mental breakdown and tried erasing myself from the Internet. Happens. But I have accepted death now and will not be hiding from that person.

@Melanol This sounds concerning - Please reach out to a trusted friend, family member, or mental health professional if you go through a rough time. There are people who care about you and can help.

Related to your FAF credentials, due to the nature of a requested deletion (As explained from posts above), you have to use another Steam/GOG to make a new FAF account.

If you have further questions about this, you can create a moderation ticket in Discord so we can guide you. The error message "Steam token expired" is in this case misleading, and I will look into it, how the removal request/Steam error message can be made more transparent to the end user.

The thread will be closed, because everything has been addressed.