TML height needs to be lowered

As if TML weren't already unbalanced, they apparently can fly high enough to avoid TMD.

https://replay.faforever.com/22816391 @ 11:30 flys over my front line TMD right into my base.

I assume this has to do with firing the TML from a lower height onto a higher height, resulting the missile flying at it's usual height + the difference between the low & high ground.

Strange indeed.

If I understand the TML physics correctly, it goes straight up and starts arcing until it is flying straight towards the target. So assuming that's correct, the altitude is not + the height difference to the target, its just a marginally slower decent rate towards a higher target from where the missile finishes its arc.

From observation the first beam looks like it hits the missile, whereas the second beam looks to be broken halfway up as if hitting something invisible in between. To me it seems like something is wrong with the TMD or map/terrain.

if the TMD is in the middle of the max range arc of TML you can lob it over them, it will usually only be able to shoot once at that point. Its coz the TML area is a dome and not a cyllinder

@firv Hmm, strange. I never picked up on that. Will test.

In the replay it does shoot twice though? Is this to be expected somehow?

I assume this has to do with firing the TML from a lower height onto a higher height, resulting the missile flying at it's usual height + the difference between the low & high ground.

This is exactly it.

(Source: I wrote the code that introduced this issue 🙃 )

That's a good source lol, I stand corrected. Where is this code exactly? @CocaineDiesel

Right here: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/88e11de1f94278164615f0e4dec20d32e9e11a3b/lua/sim/projectiles/components/SemiBallisticComponent.lua#L218

Put into action here: https://github.com/FAForever/fa/blob/88e11de1f94278164615f0e4dec20d32e9e11a3b/lua/sim/projectiles/components/TacticalMissileComponent.lua#L38

I put added height in there to catch all possible edge cases, but the reality is the target will never be so high that it's actually necessary and it introduces the drawback you've identified here.

Do you think this fits into the remit of such a structure? should ranged tmd be able to stop all projectiles that are sent past them? Or is it up to the player to judge higher arcs and defend like an aeon?

Its not clear that the game has this mechanic and the player needs to pay attention to it.

Range is clearly a thing and is on unit stats on unit stats - seems all ranged tmd have (2-)31 range.

The answer to that question is a little out of scope for me*, but I think it could break either way:

• On one hand, it's a sim based game. Things fly out of range and don't get hit.
  • On the other hand, it's potentially a drag (but also potentially interesting) for players to actually figure out when that will happen in the vertical direction. Additionally, there's carveouts (see MaxHeightDiff in weapon blueprint) for weapons to have cylindrical rather than spherical ranges, so it was meant to happen in some cases. This feels like as appropriate a case as any.

*The original changes were made for performance reasons, not gameplay ones, and I went to great lengths to match the old trajectories as closely as possible.

EDIT: Fix will be in the next patch.

@cocainediesel said in TML height needs to be lowered:

Additionally, there's carveouts (see MaxHeightDiff in weapon blueprint) for weapons to have cylindrical rather than spherical ranges, so it was meant to happen in some cases.

I don't know why that comment on the blueprint value is that way (gotta ask Hdt80bro) but the blueprint editor's comment for MaxHeightDiff says

The maximum height diff range for the weapon. Keep in mind weapons are now cylinder in nature.

and there is 0 history of talk about weapons having a spherical range as far as I know, so the blueprint annotation must be incorrect.