Setons Opti Ballancing

I've noted in the last while (mb last year) that opti-mirror balance is consistently putting low rated players on the air slot when populating the positions. It seems intentional - given how frequently the lowest gets put on air.

Can this bias be shifted to front or beach?

Am I wrong? Just seems to common for it to be blind luck.
Will this change if I select "Odd vs Even" or "Top vs Bottom" etc?

I believe this is because optibal orders by slot starting with highest rating descending and the last or penultimate slot to be filled is air

Wouldn't it be better for the lowest rank players to battle it out on air and have a slower building air game while the higher ranked players held the front line arc created by the other three positions?

The other day I was having connection issues and I had a nice group of setoners repeatedly let me test different potential fixes. We’d go into a game, play a few minutes, then leave. No rating change or anything. Same teams each time since no rating change. Iirc in 4 tries I was air once, rock once, beach twice. Seems fine. Certainly not something like the highest get a certain spot, otherwise Nory and I would have been in the same slots every time.

I’m about as confident as I can be without looking at the code that it’s random, just sometimes bad rng. I’ve had losing streaks where I got front or beach with a weak team 10 games in a row. Happens when you have thousands of games played I suppose.

Edit: the one actual game I’ve played in months was an opti balance, non-mirrored iirc, where I was the highest rated on my team and was on air and I was vs Yew as the highest rated enemy on air, just as rng.

Thanks for the replies guys! Perhaps I was wrong..

Maybe the ones that are the most memorable are those with bad air... gg

@dorset said in Setons Opti Ballancing:

Wouldn't it be better for the lowest rank players to battle it out on air and have a slower building air game while the higher ranked players held the front line arc created by the other three positions?

It seems like that, but in actual fact- recovering a broken front is MUCH easier than a broken air.