M28AI Devlog (v89)

@bsee Thanks, the previous version fixed the issue with the different sized shields but there are a couple of separate issues still present reviewing your replay (the first I hadn't realised would happen is that enginers can end up not building anything if they have multiple T3 shields available to build, the second is that it can try and build experimental level shields instead of a scathis). Both will be fixed in the next release.

v64 Update

• Improved how M28 acts as a teammate with non-M28 players, so it should be much less likely to build all over a teammate's base
  • 5 Fixes/adjustments to M28's late-game shielding logic, including fixing compatibility with certain mods that add additional units
  • Make M28 less likely to attack land scouts with its ACU early-game
  • 2 Changes based on a Sladow replay (M28 should be more likely to send an engineer to high value reclaim in a zone ahead of smaller reclaim, and should be less likely to overbuild AA buildings in response to bombers)
  • 9 other tweaks and fixes

Acknowledgements

• Fearghal - Replay and highlighting M28 building on a (non-M28) teammate's base
  • Bsee - Replay and highlighting M28's issues with certain unit mods late-game
  • HintHunter - Replay showing M28 messing up its build order due to a land scout
  • Sladow - Replay and tips for M28's 1v1 5km approach

@maudlin27 thanks for the shielding logic fix! Now we're seeing mid to late game a large group of engineers set to assist a single one, which has no build orders. This results in 100+ engineers not doing anything.

Two replays: https://replay.faforever.com/21622277 and https://replay.faforever.com/21622977

@ender06 Unfortunately both replays desync really early on for me so I can't reproduce. Having said that, it may not be a bug, especially if M28 is low on mass/energy or has run out of places to build, as it tries to assign some engineers to assist shields (increasing the amounts based on how many arti and novax the enemy team has)

This might be a better replay (fewer mods): https://replay.faforever.com/21630530
By 19 minutes you can see M28 has plenty of mass & power, but most engineer are idle. I see a paragon queued up but for some reason the engineer just isn't starting it.

Unrelated note: Does it actively avoid building saucers? It seems to build every other T4 but I haven't seen a saucer in a long time.

@bsee Thanks, one issue is if it tries building its late-game template near the map edge - I'll have it fixed in the next release.
The other issue is I'm guessing a FA game engine bug where a unit can be given an order to move and build, yet doesn't move - a human player would just give a slightly different order, whereas the AI tries the same order again and again. I've added a workaround for the scenario in that replay, which hopefully will resolve most instances (as I already had a workaround present for the main engineer logic, but my 'shield template' logic is a special case).

Re Czars there are lots of reasons why it might not build them. Generally, I'd expect it to try and build them if it has air control, hasn't moved into the 'build T3 arti/game ender' stage (which is more likely at the high mass income levels in your game), hasn't built lots of experimentals already, and has space to build them. It is intentionally less likely to build them than Seraphim is to build Ahwassas though (mainly because Ahwassas are far better than Czars, even moreso for an AI)

v65 Update
A mixture of bugfixes, small adjustments, and a bit more personality for M28:

• 6 Bugfixes, including with M28 trying to build its special shield template on the edge of a map (and failing to build half of it), and fixing an issue where M28 would think it was defeated if a non-M28 teammate died
  • 4 Early-game adjustments, such as delaying when M28 upgrades to T2 when it decides it wants to spam T1 land
  • 5 Changes based on replays from Sladow, including fixing an oversight with land scout production that meant they would be far less likely to be built
  • Added a wide variety of messages for when M28 is killed or wins the game

Acknowledgements

• Bsee replay highlighting an issue with M28’s late-game shielding where the location is near the map edge
  • Sladow replays and noting issues such as M28’s lack of land scouts
  • !MarLo – confirming that I likely can’t get Campaign videos/audios to play due to how FAF loads campaign files.

Trophies
No change to the current trophy holders (although Sladow came close to claiming the trophy bearing his name)

v66 Update
Hotfix for a number of bugs identified in a replay, with 10 fixes and other changes made, including:

• Fixed several bugs causing engineers to idle late-game
  • Fixed major bug introduced in v65 to M28's asf/intie logic that would cause them to stop moving
  • Fixed an oversight with M28's scouting logic that would effectively cause spy planes/air scouts to get stuck 'scouting' a mountain ridge and never scout the enemy base
  • Adjustments to what experimental gets built for Aeon, hopefully improving the decision making after a paragon is built and making a Czar more likely to be built
  • MAA should be more cautious when the enemy has a stronger nearby land force.

Acknowledgements

• Lancer Dudo – Noting they fought against M28 when posting their replay for review; the replay highlighted a number of bugs with M28, one of which (its air scouting logic) has presumably been present since the original release of M28.

Trophies
No changes to the current trophy holders from v59: Radde (Sladow trophy); and Radde, Mhad and GhillieWolf (Radde trophy).

v67 Update
Another small hotfix update, involving 10 fixes/other changes, including:

• Fixed an issue with the Holy Raid custom campaign mission where an M28 teammate would reclaim the Cybran labs you were meant to protect (causing the mission to fail)
  • Fixed a bug with M28's decision on what experimental to build (introduced in v66) that could cause its logic to fail in some cases
  • Added a further workaround for nuke launchers to try and reduce cases where a yolona oss ends up idling forever
  • Slight increase in start and end of game messages

Acknowledgements

• QAI3000 – Replay highlighting bug with M28 reclaiming objectives on the Holy Raid campaign mission.

M28AI commy did not build ... just stood there. UEF and Aeon tested and failed.
Was working fine before latest update.

@aware Do you have a replay ID?

@aware Strange. I just ran the test and there was no problem. Maybe you should update your game gamedata?

We gave up on M28AI last night as it failed to do anything after two attempts .... We were doing 4 humans vs 4M28AI on a custom 80 x 15 map that is not in vault.
We loaded four M27AI and it ran fine with good speed. AI built lots of torpedo bombers, battleships and criusers.
We wanted to play against M28AI because it builds a more diverse navy with multiple shipyards and a wider range of ships including Experimental ships.
Mods:
Total Mayhem
All Faction Quatem Gate
M28AI mod

Settings
1250 units
Restrictions .... T1 Air, T3 Air, T4 Air, Paragon, Sat, T3&T4 Long Range Canons, Nukes, T1 Hydrocarbon Perimeter Monitor.

One of our team said he was getting an error saying that M27AI was active and could not be found while I had M28AI only loaded and all four AI were doing nothing. I think that was caused because I had M27AI mod selected in the client with only M28AI in the game.

The boys want to play M28 tonight so I am gonna sort it today.

Tried game with No restrictions and M28AI started to build. I think T1 Air restriction might be the cause. It can still build T1 Air plant with the restrictions i had set. Can only build engineers and spy planes.
Doing more testing now.

@aware What would help would be a replay ID number of the game where it didn't do anything, as without it's unlikely I'll be able to fix it

Its not the T1 Air restriction.

@aware Thanks, sorry missed the part about the map not being in the vault, are you able to send me the map (e.g. via discord), and/or do you get the same issue on a map that is in the vault (in which case could you send the replay ID of a game on a vault map)?

#21683677 vault map

M28AI is working with a new and different set of restriction. At this stage i am not sure what restriction I had in place that caused the AI to not build. Running a test now on the custom 80 x 15 map to see what units are now available that were restricted before. This will take some time.

M28AI run ok on the big map ... I should be able to compare the list of restrictions in the logs.