This idea will make you angry (don't read it)

Mex (and radars) shouldn't be upgradable until after an HQ of that level is obtained.

To clarify, I don't actually agree that this change is a good idea, but it's fun to think about. It would certainly make eco whoring harder if construction of a T2 mex required a T2 land (or air or navy) HQ and T3 mex required a T3 land (or air or navy) HQ.

If you really think about it, it's kind of silly that only mex (and radars) can be produced at one tech level before the fixed cost of that tech level is paid somewhere. T3 Air was actually balanced this way. Functionally, any T3 air production requires that a T3 pgen be constructed first. Therefore, on top of the T3 Air HQ, one also must invest in an expensive T3 pgen before T3 air can be used.

In addition to the tech balance, the same power balance can be applied. Currently, a T2 mex required about 60 energy income to upgrade, and a T3 mex takes I think like 400 (unassisted) If the tech nerf isn't enough, mex upgrade power consumption/cost can be nerfed to something requiring a higher tech pgen before upgrades are really feasible. A t1 mex upgrading to T2 could take 300 (500 - 300 = 200 left for other things), and a T2 mex upgrading to T3 could take 2000.

But these are just fun ideas. I know the balance team will never approve.

(*And of course the engineering suite upgrade on the ACU or an SCU on field would also count as the 'HQ' that allows T2/T3 mex and radars to be constructed.)

Fun idea to think about. I see why you posted this 🙂

If a sim-mod could be made to implement both of those ideas (upgrade requirement and cost increase), it would be fun to try it out with my friends and see what we think. Even if it's not for everyone, some people may prefer that gameplay style to the default one.

The idea makes sense but then I wonder about how to balance upgrading your factories if you don't have access to higher tier resources. Remember you can build a t1 mex without a t1 factory and operate at t1 but you typically upgrade your mexes to t2 before you upgrade your factories or you eco will be unbalanced.

T2 HQ barely costs more than a T2 mex. Most 1v1 games you make T2 tech before T2 mexes.

@thomashiatt said in This idea will make you angry (don't read it):

Most 1v1 games you ma

The second half of the idea is (soft) requiring a T2 pgen for T2 mex upgrades as well.