Supreme Commander remaster is possible!

As someone who has been in the HORU discord for some time, I have quite a bit a faith in the project. GlassBeaver, the mastermind behind the game, really has demonstrated the skills to pull this off. He has mentioned that he does not intend to officially support modding, but it to me that was not a definitive, so you never know 🙂

Rendering large amounts of units on screen is not the problem. Late game Stellaris makes Seton’s ASF swarms look tame and they manage it.

Nobody mentioned Sanctuary, yet?

Closest we will get with a remaster I guess.

Giving Supcom an Unreal 4 port would probably mean that a portion of the playerbase could struggle to run it. I used to play only Supcom on my old laptop because it couldn’t run other games at acceptable resolutions and frame rates

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

I didn't know that Visionik and Shio left the project. You were right, without Visionik and Shio we can't do it. The topic can be closed.

@frozen_byte said in Supreme Commander remaster is possible!:

Nobody mentions sanctuary due to the retarded shit they tried pulling off with FAF.

@xiaomao said in Supreme Commander remaster is possible!:

@frozen_byte said in Supreme Commander remaster is possible!:

Nobody mentions sanctuary due to the retarded shit they tried pulling off with FAF.

????

Nobody mentions sanctuary because it's not a remaster.
Not sure why some people try establish a stab-in-the-back myth regarding to Sanctuary.
Everybody is free to choose a project he likes. Many people left FAF before sanctuary even existed and many people will leave regardless of Sanctuary for all kinds of reasons.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

Trying to use both main FAF discord servers to promote and gather funds for their own game is a rather shitty move in my books.

@brutus5000 said in Supreme Commander remaster is possible!:

Then we lost 1 mio. $ and damaged the rts genre and sup com as a brand, making sure there'll never be a commercial successor.

Wait, these guys are already doing it XD:

Not sure why some people try establish a stab-in-the-back myth regarding to Sanctuary.

I envy the developers of Sanctuary. Raise a lot of money on Kickstarter. It doesn't matter if they make a good game or not, the main thing is that they will be engaged in a high-paying hobby. They don't have to go to boring full-time jobs.

Dear @brutus5000, Sanctuary devs do it and don't whine about it being impossible.
I wish them to raise $ 1 million dollars on kickstarter.)

Sanctuary would tell you it was impossible to do anything in your OP. You don’t understand the expenses involved with ip rights.

@nflanders they have raise no money on Kickstarter as their camping on their isn't even live yet. thier is no market for RTS games like supcom in this day in age.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

Would have better luck with an fps supcom spin-off where you play as some sort of a human piloted mech marine than a proper remastered rts supcom. I’m picturing that with the Titanfall engine and now I kinda want it.

@Exselsior how about this game, it is made by a single developer at this moment. See also this interview

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@nflanders said in Supreme Commander remaster is possible!:

I envy the developers of Sanctuary. Raise a lot of money on Kickstarter. It doesn't matter if they make a good game or not, the main thing is that they will be engaged in a high-paying hobby. They don't have to go to boring full-time jobs.

Is this a joke or do you really have no clue how indy game development works? Sanctuary work is not high paying. The founders basically brought in all their personal savings to bring it into a state just good enough to attract investors.
This is a high risk investment for everyone. And even if its successful in the end, the majority of the margin will go to these investors.

@nflanders said in Supreme Commander remaster is possible!:

Dear @brutus5000, Sanctuary devs do it and don't whine about it being impossible.
I wish them to raise $ 1 million dollars on kickstarter.)

They don't "do it". The do something entirely different. The try something new. Different game mechanics. The difference between a remaster and something new should be obvious.
The remaster needs to be as close as possible to the original. But the original was commercially barely successfull and the market has declined.
So the potential customer base faces this situation: You like SupCom the way it is. Now you either play the original game for 2$ or buy the remaster for 50$.

For a new game in a different universe with different mechanics you either buy it or you don't. There is no alternative. Also people don't have the same expectations, as they don't know how it should be.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

But the original was commercially barely successfull and the market has declined.
Now you either play the original game for 2$ or buy the remaster for 50$.

I've been thinking... Just please don't hit me))) FREE-TO-PLAY monetization model for SCFA

@magge I think that this post has served it's purpose

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock