Bannable offmapping

Your reclaim flying off the map is making your reclaim functionally invulnerable to the enemy. I cannot believe you are making these points and thinking they don’t directly apply vice versa.

Just admit there is no rational reason beyond the fact it increases the quantity of reports and it not being worth increasing the backlog.

I've looked into it.

Six years ago we introduced the logic to immediately destroy an air unit as it crashes outside the map:

This was to fix a bug related to intel, where the OnDestroy of a plane was not properly called in the situation where the plane crashes outside of the map where there should be 'water'. The plane sinks indefinitely as there is no ocean floor. Which I suspect causes #848 where you can get infinite intel.

I can reproduce this by reverting the commit, add logging and then make a plane crash outside of the map.

The fix is not as simple as just warping the wreck back into the playable area. Take as an example a campaign map: the playable area can be extended / shrinked and therefore warping the wreck is 'incorrect' and will break immersion.

I'll have to think it over.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@maudlin27 said in Bannable offmapping:

Drones requires UEF (1 faction out of 4), factory attack move only increases the reclaim range so it's still possible it is out of reach of it, although admitedly I expect I would struggle to find a map/scenario where it's impossible.

you can always get a teleport upgrade to reclaim, yes it costs a lot, but wreck can be worth even more, and you keep the teleporter after reclaiming the wreck anyways

I doubt it is possible to have a wreck fall in location that even teleporter can't reach

@jip If there's a concern it'd break immersion on campaign maps to keep wrecks inside the playable area then one option could be to check at the start of the game if it's a PvE game or alternatively if it's a campagin map (I'm assuming the former will be easier than the latter unless there's already a field indicating if it's a campaign) so wrecks are only moved if its PVP, coupled with only doing this for high mass value units.

I was thinking of a similar flag, I'll think about it and see if I can add it to the patch of the 28th.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Can't aircraft just decelerate when approaching map edges?

also imo it should effect all wrecks, not just x mass value ones, makes no sense to have more arbitrary mechanics that only effect certain things under certain conditions

@mach I agree affecting all wrecks would be better, but if it would have a performance impact (even if very small) then it becomes a cost:benefit scenario.

Thinking about it more I expect it probably wouldn’t have a notable impact as you’d only need up to 4 number checks per wreck (ie checking if x and z values are inside the playable area) to determine if it’s off-map, compared with checking the wreck mass value, and anything after that wouldnt matter due to how rare it is for wrecks to be off-map.

However Jip would be far better placed than me to conclude on if performance would be a concern

Just ban maps where you build bases right at the map-edge. Simple.

(Yes, quite a lot of popular maps need fixing! Arguably, it's already broken having a completely arbitrary wall limiting base expansion and air fights.)

You just suggested to ban 95% of all maps

@melanol said in Bannable offmapping:

Can't aircraft just decelerate when approaching map edges?

Specifically, if map edges had a zone that dampens any movement towards the edge (ONLY towards the edge, so only changing one of the speed vector's components), that should not feel too immersion breaking.

Ideally, maps would be designed with that zone in mind, but if the zone is not too big it should not affect existing maps too much.