Split mex t2/t3 upgrade hotkey

I really want feature that will prevent accidental t3 mexes from upgrading in every single game. I heard that previously you couldnt upgrade t1 mexes straight to t3? If possible i want this behaviour to be toggle, i personally see no value in being able to queue t3 mexes from t1, it causes more problems than it solves for me.

Skill issue

How are you going to tell TMM teammates you got T3 mex "accidentally" then?

Agreed. Since that one patch which changed the behaviour I've heard a lot of trouble with those random t3 mexes and also have them myself. Make it an option if possible

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

What patch changed it? Hasn't it always been like this?

I believe the upgrademex keybind did not work for the t3 upgrade while it was still t1

The embodiment of depression...

@BlackYps Just to give you a rough number I believe around 2 months ago? Dunno if that helps a lot though. But no, it definitely wasn't like this all the time since it'd have happened to me every second game due to my autism abusing the mouse and upgrade hotkey.

It's a result of this change, which made the upgrade keyboard hotkey work for successive upgrades.

My knee-jerk reaction is to just say "well, don't press the upgrade hotkey twice if you don't want to upgrade a structure twice", but obviously not everybody plays like me.

Changing the hotkey behavior via a settings entry doesn't seem like a good solution, but adding another "single-upgrade" hotkey may be reasonable.

@Jip Thoughts?

I'd argue that this is a skill issue, but I do understand that everyone is used to the old situation and that changing (old) habits is a lot more difficult than it looks like at first.

I'm fine with a game option that enables / disables consecutive upgrades.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

People are capable of pressing hotkeys for units in factories just once. Nobody complains that they get too many scouts queued because they autistically spam the hotkey like they spam their move orders. I fail to see why we need to make everything a choice in the game, when there is clearly a good solution but some people insist on the game accommodating to their style of play.
We recently talked about how having to many options can make things actually worse. A small ui mod that introduces a separate upgrade key should solve this problem without cluttering the options of all players.

I also want it for 'select nearest idle mex' -> 'upgrade to t2'.
I'm more curious if it's possible. I can try learning how to do it myself if no one else wants it but I'm not familiar with this stuff.

Actually, I just tested and my 'select idle mex' hotkey is selecting upgrading mexs.

@blackyps said in Split mex t2/t3 upgrade hotkey:

People are capable of pressing hotkeys for units in factories just once. Nobody complains that they get too many scouts queued because they autistically spam the hotkey like they spam their move orders. I fail to see why we need to make everything a choice in the game, when there is clearly a good solution but some people insist on the game accommodating to their style of play.
We recently talked about how having to many options can make things actually worse. A small ui mod that introduces a separate upgrade key should solve this problem without cluttering the options of all players.

I do that sometimes because of input lag. Which brings another annoyance thing that I think recently happened. I can’t cancel things in my queue with a simple right click a lot of the time and now instead just need to go and soft stop and redo my entire queue.

The mex upgrade stuff tends to also happen with input lag making you think an order didnt register.

I made an accidental T3 mex a few times because of this but it's not really an issue anymore.

Ok, I've changed my mind. Having select idle t1 mex & select idle t2 mex would be much better and would also make this obsolete.
And I'll also admit it may have been a bit of skill issue salt.

Are you aware of the "select nearest idle lowest tier mex" hotkey?

I've seen accidental t3 mexes in a ton of games. I think it's worth waiting to see how often it's happening in a couple of months once people adjust. A UI mod is also possible I guess?

There's going to be a new feature where you can right click an extractor and it starts auto upgrading, pauses and then unpauses as your engineers start assisting. I expect this will replace the use of a hotkey to upgrade a tech 1 extractor.

4ace48eb-5486-417a-8ca0-f1c79bbc07d2-image.png

Could some that have issues try it out, give some feedback? You can find it on the FAF Develop game type.

@jip said in Split mex t2/t3 upgrade hotkey:

There's going to be a new feature where you can right click an extractor and it starts auto upgrading, pauses and then unpauses as your engineers start assisting. I expect this will replace the use of a hotkey to upgrade a tech 1 extractor.

I doubt it can replace the use of the hotkey for upgrading entirely, as one of the main benefits of upgrading a mex via hotkey is that you don't have to move your camera or mouse to do so.

The new feature is still a great addition though and one I'll use a lot for sure 😄

@jip Either I get smth wrong or it doesn't really fix the problem since especially early on you want to use the buildpower of the mex as well. If I read that correctly the mexes don't upgrade until the engis assist it and since most engis expand early on, all the other mexes simply don't upgrade?

In that use case you'd want to do it manually, yes. What I usually have is a group of 2 - 4 engineers that upgrade extractors one-by-one to focus the build power. As they start assisting, the extractor unpauses.