Units move in opposite direction they are ordered...

Annoying bug that popped up sometime over the last few months: Units move in the opposite direction of my orders!

This doesn't happen often, but when it does, they take on a mind of their own. I have a replay that clearly shows me ordering one direction and the units move the opposite, across the map.

Any hope that we might get this fixed?

https://replay.faforever.com/13104617

Min 19ish, watch my frigates...

Mods:
Supreme Scoreboard
Advanced Target Priorities 1.1
Spread Move

that usually happens when you issue formaation move, you either held Ctrl or the right click was longer, if you hold right mouse button and rotate you will see preview of the formation. You can test that and see that it is most likely what happened.

it also can happen with normal move if you select unit that are far apart. Ie : unit from your main base and unit that are already on the battle field. If you give an order to go on the battlefield, the unit already on the battlefield will try to meet the one from the spawn mid way or so

The pathfinding is generally the worst I have ever seen in a game. Even the harvesters from C&C did a better job navigating through base and terrain - and they were infamously terrible.

Usually, you have to babysit the units if want to accomplish something in time with them - without blocking other units or bumping dozen of times into buildings. It is terrible and drains some fun out of the game.

To me it is inherently part to the game. Units that bump into one another feels natural and that you need to think about that feels proper. As an example: block an enemy commander from moving so that you can take him out.

I don't like it when units get stuck however 😞 .

As a counter example: Supreme Commander 2 uses steering behaviors to navigate the units locally. In turn, it is almost impossible to bump into them. See also a comparison:

It feels very unnatural somehow.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

It does look a bit weird, but it's a lot better for gameplay. There's a balance between units pathfind so badly that it's annoying to use, and there being a way to use pathfinder to get an advantage. IMO, the 'bouncing' units do when they hit each other just makes it far far worse, since they not only can't go forward, they bounce backwards, and get 'stunned' for a moment for movement

@keyser said in Units move in opposite direction they are ordered...:

it also can happen with normal move if you select unit that are far apart. Ie : unit from your main base and unit that are already on the battle field. If you give an order to go on the battlefield, the unit already on the battlefield will try to meet the one from the spawn mid way or so

that is what happens when you make a formation move...
formation move can be ordered by holding ctrl or clicking right+left click, so can be done accidentally

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

@ZLO said in Units move in opposite direction they are ordered...:

@keyser said in Units move in opposite direction they are ordered...:

that is what happens when you make a formation move...
formation move can be ordered by holding ctrl or clicking right+left click, so can be done accidentally

from what i understood / used to test it can even happen without formation move

It used to very often happen to me without using formation move. Luckily i didnt have it happen for quite some time though.