why scathis fire and then stop and again fire and stop

Is it normal that the scathis is firing then close, then fire, the close etc. I didn't miss energy. Maybe it is because I choose another target ?

I had a scathis vs 3 sat. And I loose. The sat don't fire me right now and they leave a ought time to finally kill me. I would say I have like 5 min to kill them before being killed

Also I see that the scathis also choose to fire elsewhere. I don't know why.

Is there some rules when playing with this exp unit ?

In fact it change its target alone. I don't know why...

If you change targets rapidly, it will act a bit weird. Usually you manually attack a whole zone anyway and not a specific unit.

If you think something bugged, then we need a replay ID and timestamp.

@iostrym said in why scathis fire and then stop and again fire and stop:

I would say I have like 5 min to kill them

Well, you can tank 3 sats easily, indefinitely sitting under a shield. Same applies for scat.

Sorry not understood this :
"Well, you can tank 3 sats easily, indefinitely sitting under a shield. Same applies for scat."

For the scathis I selected the sat structure that wasn't killed. I would think it would fire without endind. Is should have user the 'a' shortcut to fire a zone ?

@iostrym said in why scathis fire and then stop and again fire and stop:

For the scathis I selected the sat structure that wasn't killed. I would think it would fire without endind.

That is correct - However, using the 'a' hotkey (force ground fire, I assume) is a more preferable way to attack units/the whole area with scat. Targeting specific units works as well. If it doesn't - replay ID and time.

Also depends on how many shields you had vs. the sats.

Incidentally, I would love an explanation from the balance team as to why the Scathis was changed to be how it is. I really liked the vanilla version better, but I an open to an explanation.

@pearl12 There was a whole longer explanation somewhere here on the forums, but the gist of it was that Scathis was way too strong on 10x10 maps and useless on 20x20+ maps.

@Pearl12 think it was just for faction diversity (yep there it is again). I think at first, it was changed, as @Nari said, to be a short range mavor. It was half price, ~110k mass, and had about 8-10km range. Since no other faction had a 'cheap game ender', cybran had an uncontested win condition on 10km maps. It also overlapped with t3 arty at ~70k mass and outperformed. It was also useless on 20km maps, due to said short range, giving cybran no game ender on it.

But anyway, cybran needed a game ender different from mavor, and since scathis is a rapid fire artillery, they exaggerated what made it different to make it even more different, i.e. loads more aoe, very low accuracy, very low damage per shot (compared to mavor); this matched the style of cybrans other arties, treb and disruptor. I think the volley idea was just something someone came up with and it stuck.

I personally think it looks dumb for the canon to spin so fast. If they shot cluster projectiles instead, like how their bomber shoots 6 bombs, then it would look way less stupid and not like a modded unit. This change would even keep it's shot per volley the same. Also, it would split early unlike the aoen rapid fire.

@ovenman said in why scathis fire and then stop and again fire and stop:

I personally think it looks dumb for the canon to spin so fast.

That's the best thing about it. The slow unpack and reload make it seem so sluggish and clunky, until it pours out an absolutely ludicrous amount of shells per volley (20)

put the xbox units in the game pls u_u

@ovenman said in why scathis fire and then stop and again fire and stop:

I personally think it looks dumb for the canon to spin so fast. If they shot cluster projectiles instead, like how their bomber shoots 6 bombs, then it would look way less stupid and not like a modded unit. This change would even keep it's shot per volley the same. Also, it would split early unlike the aoen rapid fire.

This is my biggest (only?) gripe. I don't actually mind the functional change but it does look... well, yes, dumb would be one word for it. I would rather change the way it fires so the ROF is the same over time but it fires at a constant rate instead of charging up. Keep the range, accuracy, aoe, etc., everything else the same. Just... don't make it so... dumb? Goofy? I was going to type "unrealistic" when I first asked, but it's a sci-fi game so... outlandish? I thought the way it fired before was cool and classic and satisfying, regardless of range/accuracy/aoe. I just liked watching it. Now... it looks like a circus ride, not a weapon.