A Topic of Dumb Ideas!

@Tagada said in A Topic of Dumb Ideas!:

@moses_the_red said in A Topic of Dumb Ideas!:

@FtXCommando said in A Topic of Dumb Ideas!:

Why is it when high rated players tell you that manual reclaim of tiny rocks doesn’t matter at high level you just ignore it and keep arguing the same wrong theory. I can even get a quote of jagged saying the same thing several years ago for you.

Because you're clearly fucking liars? You tell me it doesn't matter but wind up with a mass advantage doing it in every game? You want to prove me wrong, its easy, Get some high rated ladder player to stop doing it, play 50 games and see if you can stop your rating from tanking. If it doesn't fall by a a significant amount I'll concede the point.

Don't tell me it doesn't matter while you click click click away at every reclaim point you can in a frenzied bout of index-finger injuring spam. Stop doing it, and we'll see if it doesn't matter.

The less you have going on that isn’t manual reclaim, the more your ability to manual reclaim matters. Why is that? Because the tradeoff for spending time on units or base management or literally anything else vs manual reclaim is so out of favor for reclaim it isn’t even funny. It is so far down your list of priorities when you can simply attack move and accomplish the same thing at like 80% efficiency. If there is nothing else to do in ur faf game, then that efficiency difference matters.

Oh, you think I'm such an idiot that I don't understand that you can only click click click mindlessly after you've taken care of other things? I understand that that's how it works. I just don't think mindless repetitive bullshit should be part of the game just to separate the high APM from from the rest of us. If you're really skilled, you'll still win the game, you don't need the free high APM reclaim crutch to help you do it.

Take it away and most teamgames are still t3 mex ras boy simulators. Except now I have nothing to click and will instead be looking at how quality the grass looks on the map to pass the time.

Maybe you could spend the time... I don't know... communicating a plan with your team or launching an early attack. I'm sure you'll be able to find something to do with yourself.

Whatever you do though, I imagine it will be better for the game than performing mindless repetition - even if it doesn't give you a safe easy to acquire advantage.

I like how you were upset with people in the other thread "Tips for making team games" for not providing any valid arguments and doing a "pissing contest" but when you are presented with constructive criticism and arguments from a high rated players that are contradictive to your opinions you call them "fucking liars" and continue to rant about how we all know nothing and you, the 1k have the full understanding of the game but it's this pesky system that requires insanely high levels of APM averaging to 50 APM and peeking at 90 APM during air fights that holds you back clearly.
But sure, I know nothing right? As a lowly TOP 4 player on FAF I can not possibly understand the game better then you.

Manual reclaim is necessary only during first the opening BO ( up to around 3 min game time) when there is legit nothing else happening and if you wouldn't do that you would be staring at your factory that is slowly making engineers.
After that manual reclaim is only worth it if there is nothing else going on or there is some extremely high value reclaim eg. first t2 wrecks, t3 wrecks, t4 wrecks.

BTW This guy got 100 ladder rating in 1 day! Amazing! How did he do it!? It's simple, you can learn it too! STOP CLICKING TINY 10 MASS ROCKS AND START MICROING YOUR UNITS! YOU CAN KILL ENEMY ENGIES WITH THEM, YOU CAN TRADE BETTER IN FIGHTS.

Arguing with you is like arguing with entitled child, you know little, you think you know better and when someone else has other opinions and you can't beat their arguments you call it bullshit or the person a liar. Just grow up, admit that your knowledge of the game is limited, ask for advice and improve. Also maybe stop wasting 1h a day on forums writing walls of text that nobody except few can be bothered to read and start actually improving at the game.

Tagada, I do not doubt that you'd kick my ass on any map...

However, it does not follow that your skill level implies that clicking tiny rocks is good for the game. It just doesn't.

And I get that you probably worked your ass off to get where you are, and it might be insulting to be disagreed with by someone that hasn't put in that kind of effort. I really do.

But it doesn't change the fact that fundamentally, being better at the game just doesn't imply that you're actually right on every little micro issue the game has.

And frankly, the clicking little rocks issue... it is clearly a lame fucking mechanic.

I'm amazed that anyone bothers to argue it. It goes against what fundamental separates Supcom from other games in its genre. It IS a lame mindless repetitive mechanic.

And you're right that I thought it went on for longer than it did, but that doesn't change it being a lame mechanic.

yes id rather stare at my base for 20 seconds until i have something to do

@TheWheelie There are other solutions to the slow start in this game. The man is completely right: Clicking on rocks manually is an extremely lame mechanic.

A generally good rule of thumb when considering whether a concept is any good as a whole is to put yourself into a state of mind where the thing doesn't exist, and try to imagine the response if it were proposed. A proposal to add the necessity of manually clicking a bunch of rocks in the first few minutes in order to compete at high levels on certain maps would simply be laughed out by any playerbase which was not already pre-conditioned to accept it.

@IceDreamer said in A Topic of Dumb Ideas!:

@TheWheelie There are other solutions to the slow start in this game. The man is completely right: Clicking on rocks manually is an extremely lame mechanic.

A generally good rule of thumb when considering whether a concept is any good as a whole is to put yourself into a state of mind where the thing doesn't exist, and try to imagine the response if it were proposed. A proposal to add the necessity of manually clicking a bunch of rocks in the first few minutes in order to compete at high levels on certain maps would simply be laughed out by any playerbase which was not already pre-conditioned to accept it.

This...

When I posted this, I knew that people would hate the idea, but I also felt like this is just a clearly obvious (although admittedly minor) flaw.

And while I expected this to perhaps not be worth pursuing because its so minor and because it would be controversial, I never imagined the kind of reaction its gotten.

Its always surprising when sane, intelligent people take a clearly ridiculous position and dig in.

"You're just low rated and don't understand the depth added by all the tiny rock clicking"...

sigh...

@IceDreamer said in A Topic of Dumb Ideas!:

Turning the concept around and attempting to propose the system in an unreasonably weak fashion - so much so that your original position appears stronger; is completely duplicitous, and a mockery of legitimate game design.

No sane individual - not even a novice designer, or a random pleb on a forum - would legitimately attempt to introduce manual reclaim to a game by stating "we should let people click on tiny rocks to gain advantages in the game." Doing so would be akin to pure idiocy, or in this example: be an underhanded tactic to garner support for the alternative position. One so blatant, and so weak, that anyone with a modicum of experience in any design field would be able to call out upon reading the post. As I am doing to you now.

We are after all; standing in a group of people who contort every word, grammar mark, or point of evidence, into something that may help envision themselves as some sort of hero. Fighting against an uncaring or otherwise elitist majority regardless of value or virtue, just like dear Moses is inferring in the post above mine. There is no way a legitimate proposal to the game would break from that trend when it implies no value to do so, and only a proposal that is inherently duplicitous would benefit from that.

People have already explained the merits of reclaim in depth, and trying to argue with people like moses who may or may not be afflicted with mental disorders is not going to change the opinion of anyone in the thread. Just don't try and contort design iteration into an argument. Especially one that infers that the community is a conditioned, perhaps even brainwashed mess, and that you are a hero for attempting to defeat them. It's not that people are "conditioned against you," its just that your ideas are bad.

Another dumb idea, seeing as curently SACU balance is been looked into, just remove the ability to upgrade them entirely and have a set of indevidual units the gateway can build. No longer would the devs need to balance mixing and matcing upgrades.

While on the gateway part why not allow to transport units between two gateways and allow faster repair for an acu that is sitting on top of gateway.

Analyze, Adapt, Overcome...

On the topic of unit repair: we got these incredibly op air staging facilities that can repair an expensive strat for free in two millliseconds. The only reason why everyone is not using them is essentially apm. How about creating the same for ground units? Basically a unit repair center, but you need to load units into it manually. You trade apm for free mass, much like reclaiming stuff. And it would make veterancy and micro more valuable, because you could heal up veterans and make so they get even more vet. I always missed a repair feature and think it would add depth to the game

@Whatisbennis actually sprint/ba have that and they are sort of usefull, currently repairing is waste of mass.
Having something repair proportional to 1-50 mass per second for example for 50-1500 energy per sec would be great addition (so better than regural fabricator energy to mass convertion).

@Reckless_Charger this is considered cheating by mods "casue unfair advantage" lol, mod got removed from game)

Just make it that any unit that has not been damaged in the last 60 seconds gets trippled passive regen rate 😛

@realslmshdy what mod was this? And it wouldn't be cheating if it was integrated and everyone could do move - patrol. We have attack - move patrol so what's the problem here?

@techmind_ that's auto reclaim for idle engineers. Not what I am talking about at all. I am talking about move-patrol. I.e cycling move orders (as against attack-move orders which patrol does).

Dumb idea: Paragon adjacent to artillery gives 2x fire rate increase. Paragon adjacent to shields decreases shield recharge time.

SACUS can shoot from transports xD