Viper Mobile Missile Launcher splitting missiles

I had a look on the Unit DB but can't see the info there. My question is : when a missile launched by a "Viper" Mobile Missile Launcher is intercepted by a TMD, it splits into 2. What is the damage of the split missiles. Is it the same as the original single missile or half of the original or..what?
Hmm, also, after splitting are the missiles affected in any other way? Eg reduction of velocity, range, speed etc
Thanks!

It splits into 3 pieces actually.

The other Cybran units that do this are: "TML-4" (the tech 2 building that launches TMLs) and "Plan B" (the nuke sub, which has a regular tactical missile launcher in addition to the nuke launcher)

If you want to count the exact damage, you can set up a custom match with cheats turned on. Go up against an AI:Easy. Then use alt-f2 to spawn things in for yourself and for them. Like you can give yourself a viper and give them a single TMD. If you spawn in some buildings various distances away from the TMD you can test it until your viper shot splits in 3, 2 of them gets zapped, only 1 gets through, and you can count how much damage the single projectile does.

You can also observe whether it looks like the mini-missiles are slowing down compared to the original missile. There is definitely no reduction in range because they go after the same target as before. I haven't noticed a difference in speed but I haven't looked closely at it.

Splitting projectiles appear in quite a few places, and the damage mechanic is, unfortunately, in most cases, buried in the script of the new projectile itself - making it hard to find. The worst is, perhaps, the Aeon Salvation artillery.

There is one or two units, that I recall have a blueprint value, in the unit itself, that seems aimed at that process, but again, the application of the damage is handled by the projectile script.

@arma473

You can also just spawn stuff in for civs, you don’t even need to bring an AI into it.

@ftxcommando said in Viper Mobile Missile Launcher splitting missiles:

@arma473

You can also just spawn stuff in for civs, you don’t even need to bring an AI into it.

Makes sense. I don't remember whether you need to pick a map that already has hostile civs on it in order to spawn in hostile civs.

Nah, least on sentons I can spawn in hostile civs when testing stuff.

The map needs to have civilians added in the script but not necessarily on the map. Original GPG maps all include them anyway but not all mappers add them

@scout_more_often Make a game with cheating, press ALT+F2, and test things yourself.

Just to complete this thread I did indeed run a test game and figure out the current values, as follows:

Viper
Single missile launches, will do 200 Damage if it hits target.
If hit, it splits into three.
These missiles will do just 10 Damage if they hit the target.
This is 5% of the original damage.

Cybran T2 TML
Single missile launches, will do 6000 Damage if it hits target.
If hit, it splits into three.
These missiles will do just 833 Damage if they hit the target.
This is just under 14% of the original damage.

So what I've learned is that the split missile damage is not OP. In practise, these units overwhelm defenses when used in number not due to OP damage but because the smaller splitoff missiles (that do relatively little damage) will cause the TMD to fire on them. TMD then needs time to reload and is unable to fire on the higher damage missiles.

Conclusion - they're a pain in the bum to defend against but I would no longer feel they are OP.

nice work, i still hate them.

i still perceive them to hurt me the same 🙂

Oh, don't worry I pretty much hate them too , I just can't honestly whine anymore about how OP they are lol