Matchmaker Algorithm Feedback Thread

I’m not 100% up to date on what the plans for ratings are but afaik, 4v4 will definitely have a different rating, and 3v3 will get bundled in with either the 4v4 one or the 2v2 one. There will also be a queue that uses global rating.

Last night's game (https://replay.faforever.com/15370273) showed another issue with the TMM ratings: my opponents were both rated around 580. In reality, one was a much better player than the other; presumably they always played 2v2 together thus always won/lost (rating) together. Perhaps one could call the result "balanced" (1248 + 16 vs 580 + 584), but their ratings still massively misrepresented the players (the better of the two is 985 on 1v1 and 1100 on global, the other ~500 on global).

People having inaccurate ratings is a problem that the matchmaker can't do anything about.
For specific players it should go away over time when they play more.

@cyborg16 I thought this too... After being initialized at the wrong rating and then playing always with the same friend I feared I was still massively overrated. I am 1100 he was 600

Somehow though, my winrate is pretty close to 50% when queuing up solo. Apparently I really am as good in 2v2 as my rating suggest (now at least).

my opponents were both rated around 580. In reality, one was a much better player than the other; presumably they always played 2v2 together thus always won/lost (rating) together

Yeah no rating system in the world can really fix that (if they indeed always play together), unless it measures other things than win/loss, which would open the door to people trying to game the rating system (potentially grieving their teammates to gain points) instead of trying to win.

Inaccuracy is built into prebuilt teams. If we wanted a perfect system you would prohibit premade teams, but that’s a less fun experience for lots of people.

The server update on Friday fixed the bugs I mentioned earlier in the thread. So from now on you shouldn't see games with extreme imbalances anymore.

Is there anything being done further in regards to the map chosen is biased towards maps on the lower rating player’s pool?

@Morax I asked you about this before making the last server release. You told me to leave it as is.

Yep, and I’m asking if anything is being done about it now.

Because you said to leave it as is, I guess the answer is no?? Do you want us to do something about it?

Not what happened, but per our zulip convo we figured it out ...

I wouldn’t call that “figuring it out”. I would say we deferred the conversation to a different medium, in which hopefully things can be communicated in a way that don’t just make everyone confused…