Klutz's Map Emporium

Lessons learned from Settling Scores

• Just because a map can be played 1v1, doesn't mean you should put it in the pool of a 1v1 tournament
  • A delayed map may eventually be good, but a bad map debut is bad forever
  • Everyone will dislike a map at first
  • Nobody cares how groundbreaking your map is if the gameplay is atrocious
  • Stop putting mass spots every 5 metres
  • Stickleback should be my new standard going forward
  • Don't be afraid to ask for help from pros
  • Not map related, but $100 for hours of content for hundreds of people is actually a pretty good deal

have you fixed that alpine valley pathing ? 😛

Yes! Arch did a very good job of chasing me up on that.

Uploaded:

Auburn Canyon

7.5 km x 7.5 km 1v1, featuring usage of some of the new props, is now on the map vault with 50% finished decals and is eagerly awaiting playtesting.

Auburn Overview

Auburn Vanity

Just thought this looked nice.

pink ones just look like weir candy that have fallen on a weird green table, doesn't feel like bushes or trees.
The orange ones are nice

Floralis

5km x 5km 1v1, featuring more of the new props. Mostly finished. Uploaded and eagerly awaiting playtesting.

Floralis Overmap

Floralis Vanity

You're doing gods work Captain.

Tamara Pass

10km x 10km 2v2. Going back to basics with this one. Very unlike me to upload a map that actually has finished decals, but there you go, I guess I'm growing. Thanks to Arch and Jip for lots of help on this one.

Tamara Overmap

Tamara Vanity

Wow, Capitan realy wonderfull work...the map pleases the eye

Amazing work dude. Really wish I knew how to do this but I am glad you do. Just incredible.

Let there be light

maybe i should make a quick tutorial

@captainklutz Yes, tutorials are always good

FAF Website Developer

@CaptainKlutz if you want to make any mapping videos let me know and possibly get them linked to the FAF youtube or can upload them with credit to you ?

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

Want to post it here now I've been asked about it a couple of times- I am open to the idea of commissions. A 10x10 map for me takes anywhere between 8-16 hours from start to finish, and if we go for a generous €10/hour, that works out to easily over a hundred for a 10x10 map. However, this assumes I'm doing it from scratch. It would depend on each case, but I'm willing to discount if given clear directions and sketches. Or, I might just like the idea so much that I'll do it for free, like I did with Astral Craters and Forest Nothing.

In any case, I like hearing ideas, so don't hesitate to talk to me about any you might have.

I also won't stop making maps for free. The inspiration just comes and goes, and now the leaves have fallen from the trees I'm lacking it. But seeing as I have 3 maps in the matchmaking pools right now, I expect replays on those will be nice to watch. Thanks to everyone who's been staying tuned and continues to help and encourage me. I wouldn't be able to be where I am without you.

Mangrove Delta and Frozen Firefight are some of my favorite maps in the TMM map pool. Thanks for making these awesome creations!

My only tiny suggestion of improvement: I find it often hard to read which parts of the map are passable, and which ones aren't (I hate Adaptive Moon for this reason). Frozen Firefight suffers a similar issue with a hill-like looking texture on one of the islands. It can be seen in the top left of this image:

Frozen Firefight

To me, this visually looks like a mountain, particularly when only glossed over from a top-down perspective in the heat of a hectic battle. It doesn't help that the actual mountains on this map have the same color theme as this spot. However, contrary to the visual communication, this area is transversable by units. I think I'm not the only one who is confused, as I observe many players circumventing/avoiding this spot with their raids.

Maybe the communication could be improved by making it a wind-blown snow hill texture instead? Or alternatively, make it a proper mountain.

@xayo you will hopefully be happy to hear that after feedback from you, Morax, and the rest of the matchmaker team, I've changed the lighting and one of the textures on Frozen Firefight to better represent the pathability of the terrain.

This ice cracks look cool as ice.

February 2022 update

New content:

Turmoil Lake

Commissioned by Dragun. A remix of the SCTA map, Trout Farm. 10x10 hyper reclaim FFA or 1v1.

Arrakeen Skirmish

Based on Dune. Fight over the city of Arrakeen to secure the spice fields. 10x10 hyper reclaim teamgame map (up to 6v6).

Caladan Crosswaters

Based on Dune. The rugged highlands of Caladan form towering cliffs where they meet the sea. 20x20 teamgame (up to 6v6) or FFA map.

Twisted Isles

Commissioned by Yudi. The salty volcanic spring waters keep the twisted isles thawed. 20x20 naval 2v2.

Verdanis

The sequel to Floralis. 15x15 teamgame map (up to 4v4).

Great work Captain 🙂

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned