2021 Summer Invitational

banner
Hello and welcome to the 2021 Summer Invitational Tournament. The 2nd annual Summer Invitational is a top level 1v1 tournament featuring a series of invited players and an open qualifier to find the top 16 players on FAF. For those who are not familiar, there will be series of invites sent out to previous tournament winners, and an open qualifier on July 10th to fill the remainder of the 16 slots. This is followed by a group stage on July 17th where the top 8 players will advance to a single elimination playoff bracket on July 24th-25th whose winners will receive prizes and glory, including LoTS qualification points! (See here for details)

All tournaments will be casted on twitch.tv/faflive starting at 14:00 UTC.

What’s changed?
The open qualifier no longer has a maximum number of players so everyone who signs up for the qualifier is guaranteed to play in it. The number of BO3s vs BO1s will be adjusted to accommodate the number of signups to ensure the tournament finishes in a reasonable timeframe.
The order of games in group stage was changed to put the 2nd seed vs 3rd seed game last.

Would you like to contribute to the prize pool?
You can donate via Paypal to support this tournament.

Prize pool:
$400 total
• 1st: $180
• 2nd: $80
• 3rd: $60
• 4th: $40
• 5th-8th: $10

Final Results:
1st - Tagada
2nd - ZLO
3rd - Paralon
5th-8th - archsimkat
5th-8th - Turin
5th-8th - Tex
5th-8th - Blast_Chilled

Donated by:
$220 - archsimkat
$150 – Swkoll
$15 - Yudi
$15 - Keene

The schedule:
July 9, 2021 - Deadline to accept invites
July 10, 2021 - Open Qualifier
July 17, 2021 - Group Stage
July 24-25, 2021 - Playoffs

The qualifier:
This is an open qualifier, all players who have not received invites are welcome to participate. It will be a double elimination tournament with BO3s in the winner's bracket and BO1s in the loser's bracket. Maps will be selected by myself from a pool for each round. Players will be seeded by ladder rating at the time of signup.

The group stage:
This will consist of 4 groups of 4 players playing a round robin style tournament with the top 2 of each group advancing. Games will be BO3s. Groups will first be seeded by Invitational points, then the qualified players will get to pick their group. Maps will be chosen by players from a pool of 10 using a veto/pick system with 2 vetoes each, players will make alternating vetoes and picks with loser seed vetoing first and higher seed picking first. Faction veto will also be used.

The playoffs:
This is a single elimination tournament with all BO5 matches expect for the championship match which will be BO7. Maps are chosen by players in a pick/veto system from a pool of 15 with 3 vetoes each, players will make alternating vetoes and picks. Players advancing from the group stage can submit one map to the finals bracket map pool (subject to Tournament Director veto). Faction veto will also be used. There first two rounds of the Playoffs will be played on Saturday and the 3rd place and championship match will be played on Sunday. The 3rd place match will start at 14:00 UTC and the championship match will follow it.

Invitational points:
Invitational points have been updated with results of major tournaments since the Spring Invitational, all players have lost 25% (rounded up) of their points for decay, and then 8 points were given for 1st place in the Spring Invitational, 6 for 2nd, 4 for 3rd, 2 for 4th, and 1 for 5th-8th. 2 points were also given for 1st and 1 point for 2nd in the April and June League Invitational. This produced the following list of 13 invites:
19- Nexus
16- Tagada
16- Petric
5- Blackheart
5- TURBO2
5- Espi
3- Adjux
2- Yudi
2- Paralon
1- Mephi
1- Jagged
1- ZLO
1- Turin

Accepted invites:

• Tagada
  • Petric
  • Adjux
  • Paralon
  • Yudi
  • JaggedAppliance
  • Turin
  • ZLO

Thanks to Javi for the banner image!

accepting invite

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

Thanks to Javi for the new banner image

Due to a lack of interest, (only 4 accepted invites as of this post), I may scale this event back considerably by reducing the number of days played, games, and prizepool. Any prizepool funds removed from this event will be put towards the Fall Invitational. The qualifier will still happen as planned no matter what and I will have the final format out by Friday.

Ok I've managed to secure enough invite acceptances for the normal format to work.

Thanks to a generous $15 donation from Keene the total prize pool is now $400!

Playoffs:
Finals and bronze match will be played on Sunday. Semi final players should wait for casters before beginning. All games are BO5 expect finals which are BO7. Players have 3 vetoes each and use the same faction and map pick rules from group stage.

Date: July 24-25th
Start Time: 14:00 UTC
Chat: /join #summer
Challonge: https://challonge.com/cyvwxmts

Map Pool:
5x5
hardffa
crazyrush
Map Gen - 5x5
Firelight

10x10
8 - Badlands_v4
Forbidden Pass - FAF version
Huracan
Oracle
Twin Rivers
Map Gen - 10x10
Open Palms - FAF version

20x20
Bermuda Locket - FAF version
The Ditch - FAF version
Lena River ( Position 1 vs Position 8 )
Map Gen - 20x20

top games were today)

Sorry for my English. I use translator

I think one of the top 4 players must get banned after his performance in ingame chat...

@alina-kiss He got banned and immediatly regretted his tantrum.

Congrats to Tagada for winning the 2021 Summer Invitational! After a dominant 14-2 performance, he's become the first two time winner of Summer Invitational. Congrats to Zlo and Paralon for winning 2nd and 3rd place.

Final Results:
1st - Tagada
2nd - ZLO
3rd - Paralon
5th-8th - archsimkat
5th-8th - Turin
5th-8th - Tex
5th-8th - Blast_Chilled

Thanks to all 24 players who played in this tournament and to the hundreds of viewers that watch live on faflive.

Thanks to archsimkat and Keene for their generous donations to the prizepool.

Thanks to HintHunter, kite, Morax, and grimplex for helping me TD this event.

Thanks to farms, JaggedAppliance, and kite for helping cover the event.

Map Pick Submissions for the Playoffs:
lena river - yudi
Valenvaryon Open palms - blast chilled
the ditch - paralon
hardffa - arch
huracan - tex
crazyrush - tagada
bermuda locket - zlo
forbidden pass - turin

Unfortunately, due to their violations of the FAF rules and Code of Conduct during and after the event, Yudi has been retroactively disqualified from this tournament. They will not receive any prize money or invitational points from this event. The $40 that Yudi would have received will instead go to fund future tournaments. Additional penalties may be issued at the discretion of the Player Councilor.

Players who are 1st and 5th-8th should contact Brutus for the prize money. 2nd and 3rd place should contact me.

Thank you for organizing the tournament, it was interesting

Sorry for my English. I use translator