Matchmaker Rotation/System Comments

@askaholic said in Matchmaker Rotation/System Comments:

Aka the legacy client that is not supported anymore. If you ask Gatsik nicely maybe he will do it. (Dunno what his FAF name is)

I don’t know what you mean by not supported. I can get tmm matches with it so it seems functional.

There’s a lot of people using python so I was raising the point about this dialogue.

Not supported means no resources from the main team are spent on it, if someone wants to work on it it's fine, but they are not going to actively get people to work on it or make stuff for it or consider it when working on the server etc. This is not exactly news though, it has been like that since over a year already.

There’s a lot of people using python

That's is simply not true, it's at maybe 10 peak users or so nowadays.

Okay on topic, it still gives an unfair advantage. We can discuss the Python client elsewhere.

Well we kind of can’t. The only solution to your problem here (from us) is FAF devs intentionally trying to break python client. No one is going to work on accommodating the python client and remove the unfair advantage other than gatsik.

@ftxcommando said in Matchmaker Rotation/System Comments:

Well we kind of can’t. The only solution to your problem here (from us) is FAF devs intentionally trying to break python client. No one is going to work on accommodating the python client and remove the unfair advantage other than gatsik.

Okay I’m just letting you guys know. This isn’t me demanding it be fixed.

Why do you guys always think anything people write here is a negative attack? Is it really that bad where people are doing this or what’s going on?

And why do you think he's not just letting you know, too? That's what it seems like to me, not that he thinks it's a negative attack.

Just for sense of scale of the issue. At any given time there are no more than 5 people using a map gen enabled legacy client

Anyway you can see that Map Generator is generating a map at the bottom of the Java client, so there is no advantage as you can cancel match in lobby.

A touch busy with exams right now, I'll be updating the pools a few days late. Sorry about that.

Pool will be updated in 8hrs when I get back from work.

If somebody has problems with the map "Mavys Marsh" let me know, I had reports of people getting low fps on it but I don't really have any problem on it. I don't know how large of an issue it is.

Yea, too like 15-30 fps problems

DONT BELIVE BH HE IS LIEING

Long story short: yes, there is a glaring, technical issue with the decals that are causing this performance issue. It can easily be fixed as I will outline, but it should be removed from the pool and labeled with performance issues until addressed.

I am not at my PC right now, but will show why this is happening later by looking at the map draw distances for decals in the editing tool.

Mavvy's marsh has EVERY decal at a maximum, allowable draw distance (5000 or greater game units of height) while most maps are about 300-500 (basically "zoomed-out" view while in game). The engine has a hard time processing all of this information and is not meant to be pushed to this limit.

I recommend removing it and sending a note to Chosen to fix it, be given a chance to address the issue (finally).

There are methods for "macro" decals where you can have certain, enlarged decals drawn while zoomed out, but not in. I recommend he does this if he is unhappy with the visual degradation.

Holy mother... okay it is worse than I thought:

https://imgur.com/a/vNkfV4I

So he has THIRTEEN THOUSAND DECALS which is like 40x more than any i have seen on any map. this guy must have spent a month just placing them??

For reference, I checked some 20x20s such as "Selkie's Isle" which has ~3600 decals. Mavvys Marsh is 10x10....

This map is just way way too detailed for the FAF engine.

Chosen without a doubt needs to fix this and tone down the decal count and draw distance issue.

Will this month's ladder pool be posted? Make your bets here /

Just so people know, the pools have been updated but I haven't made a post yet because I need to confirm with arch whether the 1v1 pool is also final.