Game Slow on FAF but perfectly fine on Vanilla

So when running the game on FAF with friends its slow and seems to lag and stutter at times. But on vanilla smooth as silk. Was having issues with one drive but got that fixed and re-installed a couple times. Still no luck. What else to check besides GPU driver?

Note: Rig set-up
CPU: I7 6850
GPU: GTX 1080 TI
Ram: 32GB 2133mhz

Check what type of lag you are having...
I guess you should press F11 and check the table at the top right. (in FAF)

in vanilla you can do the same, but need to use console command "ren_shownetworkstats" to display the table, and can type command again to remove the table.

i'd mainly suspect the net lag to be the issue.
If it is not net lag then check ingame FPS with / key on numpad
can check if you have those problems in singleplayer

Edit: ah yea, about the table...
if you see numbers in "behind" column, it usually indicates internet issues
Here is some picture i have found but i used AI to translate from RU to English so it looks weird
d97cc5f0-30b7-47ae-a867-efd988f76fad-image.png

"behind" column is usually the most important one

TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI" | http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus | http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd

Well from what i've found its not a ping/latency based issue its a performance based and comes with random gen maps. Buddy ping was bouncing between 56-72 at most and he was getting same performance issues too.

Does not matter how many bots we have in game noticed on some random gen maps it stutters more for a few seconds and others it does not at all. so its a hit or miss usually either small islands or valley from 8-14 bots. Again sometimes its smooth. I have to play the map 1st and see if it stutters or not and if it doesn't i launch the game again and we play it and its fine.

When you say 8-14 bots are you meaning 8-14 AI players? or just 8-14 units.

@relentless AI's. Been able to have rather smooth games with 14 of them even with them spamming units non stop with a 1000 unit cap. but tends to be a hit or miss on random gen maps. Mainly on valley setup but not so bad on small island setup which is weird. Again its a hit or miss. Last night none of the random gen maps were stable so which just played vanilla.

This game is not built to have 14 AIs, up to 2 at most is what I'd recommend 🙂 . For larger quantity of AIs I can only recommend the LOUD project that re-worked the AI from the bottom up to improve both the performance and capabilities.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@mrmcbeefycakes I've done valley setups a bunch. But never with this number of AI's. I'm thinking there are some oddities around the terrain that could cause the path finding to take longer.

I agree with Jip that you don't 'really' need that many AI per game. I'm not sure if you are struggling to be challenged with a lower number. If you are I'd be remiss to mention the amazing m28 AI available on faf. You certainly won't need more than 1 per player to get a good fight.

If you have a couple of the replay links from where you saw bad stuttering I can take a look as it's possible there is a pathing loop happening that needs to be looked at.