Lobby titles rework suggestion

I've thought for a long time that lobby titles serve no purpose and are often used for generally offensive verbal Diarrhea.

I'm thinking it might well be an improvement if the title was simply autogenerated by the settings the host creates for the game.

So for example, the host must set Min and Max player ratings, or could tick an all-welcome box.

Other settings that could be used to create a more rational title could be a tickbox during game setup for:

• optimal
  • full share
  • noob friendly
  • game mode (survival etc)
    etc

If the host needs to convey some key bit of information, perhaps an optional smaller subtitle could be used. If so, could the following words be automatically blocked and/or cause an automatic report of the host to moderators.

(There's a zip on this page with many words I often see in FAF lobbies)
https://www.freewebheaders.com/bad-words-list-and-page-moderation-words-list-for-facebook/

The problem with such a prescriptive title system is it would prevent more niche games being hosted that might not follow the 'standard' pattern, and custom is the only place for such games.

As an example, suppose you want to play a 4 v 1 game; or a vs AI game; or with certain unit restrictions.

That said, I'm not against the idea of having additional filters/information showing alongside the title to cover some of the things you suggest, although I expect the main thing preventing such a change would be the dev time needed.

@quietjoy said in Lobby titles rework suggestion:

lobby titles serve no purpose and are often used for generally offensive verbal Diarrhea

They do serve a purpose, they are a way for players to express themselves and be social

People really have to look for problems to solve these days

@quietjoy said in Lobby titles rework suggestion:

titles serve no purpose and are often used for generally offensive verbal Diarrhea

Oh my god that's terrible. Can you give me some examples, for research purposes? Feel free to edit out the offensive bits if you must

All the gay sex positions/slang/offensive jargon.

@quantumtyphoon By all means report these when you see them! I've handed out several longer term bans for this kind of stuff.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png