Aeon gun - lack of utility feels bad

The range bonus was always a gimmick, and now that it's both separate & T2 cost, the Aeon gun com feels underwhelming. I won't go into suggestions here (though I have a few ideas), but suffice to say that Aeon's gun is simply not fun or rewarding compared to the other factions.

what do you compare it to?
Aeon speed+range upgrade costs the same as the other factions guns, so both guncoms are equally good once they have gun and the Aeon com has the bonus of just getting range or just getting speed and being able to harrass the opponent before he can finish his own gun.

Aeon still has the best midgame ACU, especially with the insanely strong shield (ESPECIALLY with the new feature of recharging shields) or with - still - very strong Chrono and with extra range once you have a T2 PG. I see zero reasons why Aeon ACU is not the best midgame now, earlygame it's like any other ACU which is completely fine and a necessary balance for small maps.

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

@nex When was the last time you got just 1 of the upgrades and pushed forward? At mid-range skill and above, most players will have sufficient eco. balance to assist & complete the gun in under a minute. The upgrades being separate is not useful, it's a gimmick.

@Sladow-Noob I believe you are mistaking my stance; not zero utility, but lackluster. I agree that both Chrono and Shield are powerful. That does not change the fact that total utility is markedly underwhelming compared to other factions.

UEF: Gun-Engineering/Nano-Shield
Seraphim: Gun-Engineering-Nano
Cybran: Gun-Stealth-Nano

These combinations are all superior to separate guns and a shield. Shield & Chrono are good utilities, but I feel Aeon could use a little something extra since Senors and Engineering lock you out of half the gun.

@immortal-d
Cybran nano is a T2 Upgrade
Sera nano is a T2 Upgrade
UEF shiels is a T2 Upgrade
UEF nano actually dunno, might be possible on just T1 power

I don't see the reason why you'd compare those T2 upgrades with Aeon but the Aeon ACU isn't allowed to have the T2 Upgrades such as shield, chrono and advanced range.
Also the way shield and nano function are way different. Also check out how fast the Aeon shield regens. In addition to that Aeon advanced range is unique and can't be countered (Stealth gets countered by mere scout-spam).

@immortal-d said in Aeon gun - lack of utility feels bad:

@nex When was the last time you got just 1 of the upgrades and pushed forward? At mid-range skill and above, most players will have sufficient eco. balance to assist & complete the gun in under a minute. The upgrades being separate is not useful, it's a gimmick.

Hard disagree cuz you can deal insane amount of damage with just the speed upgrade. Also the first range upgrade costs basically nothing meaning you can just "let it upgrade" while doing infinite other stuff while other factions have to wait til they have enough e to even start the upgrade. It's like the old Cybran stealth which cost basically nothing.

5 extra range = u dont die to a single percy or brick

I’ve had plenty of Aeon pushes I couldn’t stop because their gun acu can kill my t3 and it has zero capacity to force the ACU to stop.

@ftxcommando said in Aeon gun - lack of utility feels bad:

5 extra range = u dont die to a single percy or brick

I’ve had plenty of Aeon pushes I couldn’t stop because their gun acu can kill my t3 and it has zero capacity to force the ACU to stop.

Edit: Also T3 units are faster than a Com. That range bonus doesn't mean squat when they catch you after just a couple seconds.

I think that comes down to running with different crowds. I play in the 1k-1500 range, and nobody would be out front with his ACU at the T3 stage for fear of air snipe.

Being faster isn't a big deal since Aeon can stack infinite HP in a single spot with the best t2 shield and you can't simply charge in due to either harbs or blazes existing which will whittle out the percies the OC either killed or half killed.

The point is 2 factions lose the capability to kite Aeon ACUs in the game thanks to the upgrade, but Aeon and Sera have the capacity to always do it via snipers. That's purely a result of said upgrade and it is well worth the cost. I see it almost all the time I see a late t2 Aeon push.

You don't need the upgrade facing a Sera or an Aeon player generally, but it's essential to making a Cybran or UEF player miserable. It really needs no buffs.

I never said the range bonus needed a buff, that was never part of the conversation.

Then what is it supposed to get?

Keep the bonus as a separate upgrade, make the gun standard, free room on the other arm for utility.

Right Arm: Speed&Range - Advanced Range ; Engineering
Left Arm: Sensors - Advanced Sensors ; Something Else
Body: No change

There is literally not a single reason to change the Aeon ACU atm. The thing you mentioned is literally just giving it another gimmick and nothing else. Aeon doesn't need a buff, the ACU is still the best midgame.
The arguments are in this thread so unless you find a good reason why they're wrong and they Aeon should get - e.g. - advanced Sensors, there is no way it'll happen cuz stuff doesn't get changed "just for the lol's "

Speed gun doesnt really matter by mid-late t2 stage so you can swap it out with sensor which generally makes your micro and targeting vastly easier for some trivial 100 dps loss in armies that are 20-30k hp at that point.

idk the value of always having the first OC and potentially even 2nd or 3rd depending on the situation is insane and those elements are what define ACU utility at that stage of the game. Aeon ACU still has that value at mid t2 over all other ACUs.

The only real issue I've had with the Aeon ACU is with Chono Dampener. I still don't like how it's tied to gun range, but the bonus HP helps a bit, I'm not sure when that was added. I'd sacrifice the extra HP for a max gun range chono by default.

I think the gun range is fine as it is. The first stage is dirt cheap and can give you an edge. The fact that Overcharge uses your gun range and stays useful through the game makes the 2nd Aeon gun range really worth it. It's insane how that little extra allows you to some really crazy things, like finish off experimentals that have broken defensive lines.

I do, however, have a small issue with having both gun range upgrades with the gun speed upgrade. I usually send up firing an extra shot into a wreck because it's already dead. T3 matters the least because they have so much HP that Overcharge is really your best bet anyway.

@tankenabard said in Aeon gun - lack of utility feels bad:

I do, however, have a small issue with having both gun range upgrades with the gun speed upgrade. I usually send up firing an extra shot into a wreck because it's already dead. T3 matters the least because they have so much HP that Overcharge is really your best bet anyway.

That's the case with every gun upgrade so it's not Aeon-specific. And UEF's gun tends to overkill smaller units.

@sladow-noob Oh, yes, good point. I suppose if it's every ones problem then it's not a problem.

Edit: No sarcasm intended, I re-read it and it came out strange.