Feeling limited in creating your ultimate hotkey layout? Look no further.
TBA/work in progress mod that will allow you to customize your hotkeys programatically. You will need to write code to change it, but it has a fairly easy to understand structure to it. Example:
- If you have only factories selected = execute the custom HotbuildOverhaul (a mod) group "HBO_T1_2". I have it saved as the second T1 unit which means it builds land scout / air scout for example.
- If you have only engineers selected = start reclaim mode
- Else (if you have nothing selected) = select all bombers on screen that are not torpedo ("ANTINAVY")
- Then, assign a subhotkey for E, meaning that if you quickly click E again you'll select all bombers on the whole map instead.
The time you have to register a subhotkey is taken from the double-click decay time that you can set in the original settings. I think the default is 500ms. Then it is reset. If you use another key that is not in the subhotkeys (or if you don't have any subhotkeys registered) it will ofc register whatever you pressed even within those 500ms. You can technically nest an infinate amount of more subhotkeys inside subhotkeys as well to really go wild with your combos.
- If any unit/units are selected = enter patrol mode.
- If nothing selected = Select all onscreen idle/moving/patrolling/attackmoving T1 engineers (engineers that have no build order as part of their queue basically)
- Q --> 2 = select same but T2 engineers. (Q --> 3 = T3 eng, Q --> 4 = SACUs)
- Q --> Q select all those T1 engineers and enter patrol mode.
I have the Y button set for all my commander enhancements:
- Y = switch to the enhancements tab
- Y --> T = Start Tech upgrade
- Y --> U = Start Gun upgrade
- etc with all buttons surrounding Y
And so on, only your imagination sets the limits.
The obvious advantage here is that you can use the same key for different things depending on the context. Kind of like build mode but automatic.
I have migrated almost all my hotkeys in there and use it on a daily basis, but you can mix with your ordinary hotkeys if you only want to customize a few.
Right now it overwrites every hotkey that you put in there, so you put the E hotkey in there it replaces (and deletes forever) your old E hotkey. Hence I am not publishing an alpha release for everyone yet because I don't want to ruin someones hotkeys. I forked it from the MoreHotkeyLayouts mod that has a neat function that saves your old hotkeys the first time you run the mod, but I still need to make sure that is working and stable.
- Multiple profiles. Right now it's all just in one big file, but it would be cool if anyone who takes the time to make their own profile can upload it and we can add those as a different profile. If you like a profile but some key is different on your keyboard, fix it, upload and every profile can then have different language versions too. These profiles could then be selected from a graphical interface as well as resetting your old keys if you want to.
Anyone else obsessed with hotkeys? Feel free to share your thoughts.
As long as you understand that you need to take a backup of your Game.prefs file I'll gladly give you access.
Always open to collaborate if you want to hep out
More mods to come.