Mex upgrade change

While upgrading mex they could gradually increase mass output in steps.

This would reduce stress on the player a little bit, you don´t have mass peaks
after an mex upgrade is done. A very little change, but maybe would be nice.

What do you think?

I personally dislike it. It kind of kills conscious decisions for me because of the fact you have to put in 900 mass in order to get more mass with a t2 mex. If you do it in little steps, people would be "oh, I have no clue what to do and I float a little mass, I guess it's time to just assist a random mex for a bit" instead of thinking more actively whether units are needed / wanted or if they can afford a t2 mex.

Not to mention it'd increase the difficulty a lot if it comes to reading enemy bases (if I upgrade all mexes to t2 but pause at 90%, either you look closely when scouting or you'd have literally no idea since they don't get gray'ed out) or the game in general.

So overall interesting idea, could be a mod, but for me personally way too many downsides

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

Not to mention it'd increase the difficulty a lot if it comes to reading enemy bases (if I upgrade all mexes to t2 but pause at 90%, either you look closely when scouting or you'd have literally no idea since they don't get gray'ed out) or the game in general.

At least this would be crazy to do, because mex would have still t1 HP until it reached t2.
Your mex would be in extrem danger for a little advantage, a little raid could cost you thousands of mass.

Our oppenent would think "this dude has only t1 mex, must be all stopped at ~90%",
let send some bomber.

I'm not letting raids through though if I decide to upgrade mexes to T2? Or at least it doesn't make a difference. By the time you go t2 mexes outside your main base raids are not just 2 labs getting through, so it doesn't even make a big difference whether your mexes have the hp of a t1 or t2 mex since they'd die anyway in most scenarios. + can always unpause and let them finish before the raid arrives.
Also no, the opponent wouldn't think that, especially in teamgames or asymmetric maps.

@sladow-noob said in Mex upgrade change:

I'm not letting raids through

not ur choice buddy

no U

Advantage:
Yor oppenent don´t know you are 90% ready

Disadvantages:

• low t1 HP
  • you don´t get the final income of a ready t2 mex, you miss the last step
  • fiddling around and panic when some raid are incoming, or basic bomber attack
  • losing single low HP mex will fu up
  • you need mass savings to panic upgrade to fully t2

Yeah, you would total win this game.
The mass disadvantage would break your neck, not speeking about the enormous
stress.

Not giving careful consideration to upgrading mexes is bad. This change would lower the consequences of that bad behavior by allowing you to get the benefits of upgrading mexes even if you upgrade lots of mexes at once and stall out while you're doing it. If it takes 5 minutes to upgrade 16 mexes at once, currently, you would be punished harshly for that, but if mexes increase their output as the upgrade process happens, you would be punished a lot less.

Making it easier for people to get away with thoughtless, sloppy gameplay only encourages people to play the game in a sloppy, thoughtless way.

You get it wrong, this would finetune the mex upgrades and flatten the peaks.
This would speed up the game a little bit, this is the only real change and not maybe wanted.

Expl.

mass output t1 mex with 2/3 additinal substeps

0%-> 2 mass-> ~t1 HP
33% -> 3 mass-> t1 HP
66% -> 4.5 mass -> t1 HP
100% -> 6 mass -> t2 HP ( t2 reached )

0% -> 6 mass -> t2 HP
33% -> 9 mass -> t2 HP
66 -> 13 mass -> t2 HP
100% -> 18 mass -> t3 HP ( t3 reached )

When you start like 16 mex upgrading, you´r dead, beacause you have still to spent massiv mass/E without
any output.
Until you reache the first substep your opponent will have a monkeylord ready.

Edit:
did a testgame, took 2:15 min to reach 33%, with a Econic Mass Rate of 21%.
And now that? i have +16 mass total and all of them are still vunurable.

Actually this would be much worse in a real game, because i cheated some E generators.

Edit 2:
It seems you all dislike it, i would love to test it, but i don´t need such a feature desperate.
Mod would be waste of time when everybody don´t want it anyway. np

The problem is you have adjusted all fundamental calculations about how valuable map control is because now mex returns happen much earlier. For the most part, you’re encouraging passive gameplay.

Likewise you eliminate the decision making between being greedy and upgrading multiple mexes in the hope that reclaim will exist to finish the upgrades vs doing the safer thing of upgrading 1 or 2 with engie assistance instead. Now there’s barely any risk attached to greed.

@segacaretaker said in Mex upgrade change:

You get it wrong, this would finetune the mex upgrades and flatten the peaks.
This would speed up the game a little bit, this is the only real change and not maybe wanted.

Expl.

mass output t1 mex with 2/3 additinal substeps

0%-> 2 mass-> ~t1 HP
33% -> 3 mass-> t1 HP
66% -> 4.5 mass -> t1 HP
100% -> 6 mass -> t2 HP ( t2 reached )

Edit 2:
It seems you all dislike it, i would love to test it, but i don´t need such a feature desperate.
Mod would be waste of time when everybody don´t want it anyway. np

You can get some of this effect right now if you wanted to test it : upgrade each mex to Tech 2 and then cap with storages before upping the next one

@Black_Wriggler

Haha, you actually favors my idea even if you not intended to.

You right, storages is kind of a substep, i don´t even thought about this, but tanky ass hell and the opponent can see them.

All Gentlemen above should´t build mass storage around mex, because of all arguments they gave 🙂 or be at least in favor removing mass storage bonus.

• You just sit in your base and do nothing exepct eco
  • you can see your opponent goes eco
  • opponent can better read your base
  • mapcontrol not important anymore
  • just be greedy and build storages
  • you don´t need to careful consider upgrading to t3

Now i´m in favor to remove the adjecency bonus for mass storages haha.

edit:
My favorite counter argument is "you don´t need to careful consider upgrading",
thats the one argument i fully agree.

?
Please don't try to write before you think (At least if I understood correctly what you mean, see my last sentence). Whatever the ppl write about the idea, do not take it personal since I don't think anyone here means it personal. It's about the idea only.

To the storages:
Storages are way more inefficient than upgrading mexes. You have to put it a lot more mass in order to get basically the same result.
"Sitting in base and do nothing except eco", not sure where this is coming from. I didn't read every single line but upgrading a 40% mex to t2 cuz you float some mass is not the same as not getting map control and just ecowhoring. Noone will ever build a single storage instead of going for a full t2 mex because they have like 500 mass in the storage rn.
"Opponent can better read your base" holds true for t2 mexes as well though? My point is that 90% t1 mexes are hardly readable / noticeable?

Like don't get me wrong, maybe I fully misunderstand your point here but if I did understand it correctly, then we're derailing quite a bit imo?

The argument of "invest now and get the benefit later" got me actually, i don´t even wanted
write anything anymore.

The storage thing was more of a joke, should have make it more clear.

Didn't see it as a joke due to the amount of posts I read on the discord :imfine: That's on me then;

I have no clue how hard it is to put this whole thing into a mod, but if you want to let ppl test it out, feel free to do so. Maybe it'll get played, maybe not; Can't promise anything