unit strategies and counters (2023)

Hello, i was wondering if there is any basic unit strategies and counters guide somewhere, preferably one that would be up to date to latest unit balances. I know its not all rock paper scissors but playing with M27 AI, i noticed a lot of new things.

Mostly i got bothered when i had map superiority yet simply couldn't break the AI's base with what i had (bug + cruisers, for some reason i thought thats a pretty strong combo. Turns out some torp bombers and 2x T3 AA and ur done ..)

Another example would be him having navy superiority and my friend just losing all his ships while i had just a bug. His cruisers prevented me to do anything and he kept forcing deeper and deeper onto our territory and i had to keep moving back with the bug, while cursing. So then i remembered that people used to counter fatboys with T2 stationary artilery and shields. So i start doing that and for some reason i thought that T2 stationary artilery outranged ships (is it possible it did before ?). Anyway, the enemy had some T3 battleships and made short work of my Arty + shield spam (cybran).

Lets say someone builds mixture of cruisers and destroyers. I am guessing the best counter masswise is t2 torp bomber. Would be interesting to see how effective it is and what to change on each side to make it better. And maybe some mass math, like, you only need x mass of torp bombers to kill x mass of cruisers.

If anyone knows of any such unit guides (composition, counters, combos), preferably covering latest unit balances, please share 🙂

T2 stationary artillery outranges some battleships but not others. You can look up unit ranges in the unit DB. UEF & Tempest outrange artillery. Cybran and Seraphim are equal range. Omen-class has less range. Range is not the only issue. Battleships are tough and tanky so they can often win a fight with T2 arty even inside arty range. I see making T2 arty to defend against battleships as a desperation move, mostly about buying time for the rest of your team to win the game on the other side of the map.

I wrote a strategy guide that does, in some places, address how to use certain units and how to counter certain strategies.

Mostly it focuses on big ideas like keeping your economy balanced because, to me at least, learning about how to use different units was pretty straightforward and intuitive. But learning how to optimize the economy was, for me at least, entirely unintuitive.

You can learn a lot about unit composition just by watching replays or streamers or casters. You can ask them questions. Or just play the game and over time you will notice what works and what doesn't work. But if you're like me, you probably won't notice all the ways you're messing up your economy unless you read a guide about it.

If I had to guess, people avoid making guides about unit comp because so much turns on how the units are used. When you make them, how you move them around, whether they're in the right position, deciding whether to attack with them or hang back, etc. Two players with identical comp could get very different results just by using the units differently.

Different battleship ranges don't seem intuitive, we should normalize them.

This post is deleted!

@snagglefox said in unit strategies and counters (2023):

Different battleship ranges don't seem intuitive, we should normalize them.

Get out of here!

@arma473 said in unit strategies and counters (2023):

T2 stationary artillery outranges some battleships but not others.

T2 art range is 128. Non-UEF battleship range is 128. UEF battleship range is 150.