Why can riptides be hit with torps?

I'll look at it, consider it fixed for the next release on the 20th of August.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Just checked it, honestly I don't think there is anything to fix here. The only moment where the instance of damage occurs is when you manage to directly drop a torpedo on a tank. And it's not just riptides, this goes for every floating unit in game. What you do is basically bonk it on the head with a heavy ass torpedo, only then do they take damage.

As for why it might have happened to riptides? Well, they are chonkier than the rest so also easier to hit.

So I wouldn't go fixing it as IMO it's part of the charm of the game, and it's not something that will happen often, if at all considering nobody is making torpedo bombers to ground fire floaty shit. They will make bombers or even better gunships.

Torps (accidentally) dropping on the riptide are fine, but torps from subs should not be able to damage the riptide. Likely its collision box extends towards the water

You might have more luck, but I was unable to make submarines hit any of the floating tanks. The torps just gonna keep on swimming under them no matter how hard I try. Only ground fired torpedo bombers were capable of damaging them, and only when actually managing to hit them "on the head", otherwise the torpedoes are just gonna keep on swimming below them.

@r4ider do you have a replay for us?

@i_forgorthescene said in Why can riptides be hit with torps?:

You might have more luck, but I was unable to make submarines hit any of the floating tanks. The torps just gonna keep on swimming under them no matter how hard I try. Only ground fired torpedo bombers were capable of damaging them, and only when actually managing to hit them "on the head", otherwise the torpedoes are just gonna keep on swimming below them.

All hovers wobble sighlty, I suspect when Riptides enter beach on setons the hitbox might wobble into the water causing the torps to target it and then sometimes “torps” jump (subs vs battleships you can see if look closeot last seconds a subs torp will jump).

I’m a shitty 1k Global. Any balance or gameplay suggestions should be understood or taken as such.

Project Head and current Owner/Manager of SCTA Project

@jip I'll check as soon as I'm home

@jip consider this threat closed, I probably was stupid. I really thought that riptides got killed by subs some games ago, but i couldn´t find the replay and @I_FORGORtheSCENE is right, you can´t hit riptides with torps.
I also thought they had the "auqatic" feature, but now saw they are "amphibious", did this change lately?

May I ask what exactly the "amphibious" feature does? For example aeon engie have "hover" but not "amphibious", whats the difference to having "hover" and "amphibious"?

The Riptide should not be amphibious - it should be hover. Amphibious means it can walk on the ocean floor, for example.

@jip
Riptides still have Amphibious tag in game + Hover.

@r4ider
Also amphibious basically means that land unit can move through water bodies and be hit by torpedoes, unlike hover which can move over water bodies but can't be hit by torpedoes.

Technically - AMPHIBIOUS is used to cover all units that can enter the water, and HOVER is just an additional designation within that, in LOUD, we added the SUBMERSIBLE category to those that can walk underwater. This allows the AI to form either specific type of platoon, or mix them if necessary, but it's use in targeting is also a plus.

In terms of the categories used in the blueprints, units that can move on land and water without hovering have the AMPHIBIOUS category, while units that hover just have the HOVER category and not amphibious (with changes on FAF develop adding the amphibious category to some units that could move on land and water without hovering that didn't have the amphibious category to make this consistent across units in FAF), although it sounds from the above that this doesn't necessarily drive the tags that display in-game for a unit.

Adding the SUBMERSIBLE category to amphibious units to indicate if they travel through water by going underwater rather than floating on the water (either way they can be hit by torps) was discussed not that long ago amongst the AI developers but there was a concern that adding this to various units that travel underwater could have unintended consequences/implications for mods that make reference to this category. For AI purposes we can still calculate if a unit travels underwater or not by checking other parts of the blueprint, hence this change wasn't pursued due to this concern.

any hover can get hit with torps if it drops on top of it ( tho it isn't the projectile that hits the unit which causes damage, just some random bug and the damage comes from the downside of the unit)

queuing with a newbie to show him the beauty of tmm and meeting tagada be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLcRpdZ0Xb0&ab_channel=Tomoko