What is going on with FAF?

Umm I'm sure FBI has better things to do than combating DDOS attacks on ancient multiplayer game (played by a couple of thousand people at best) based in foreign (non-US) country being attacked by actors likely from another foreign country.

@supernova16 What it looks like is its been 9-12 months of the SSDD approach. Why not try rolling back to a build from 2 years ago. Why not try scrapping the connection system taht crutches some players who cant see each other?

Scrapping the Internet? That's a bold suggestion

Well, I am officially tired of disconnects and moving to other games

@dondraper

What have you done to help, mr. angry man?

Don't you know shouting at people gets things done...

@stormlantern Better to be angry and see a solution eventually than pensive and putting up with this horseshit for the better part of the year since I was banned a good SIX FUCKING MONTHS came back and the situation is worse than it was. So please blame it on me.

But you also "put up with it", like the rest of us. So you are angry+put up with it. I don't think that is much better, no.

Im very happy that you guys are trying so hard to fix these connection issues.
But im also very sad that this is the current situation that we are facing.

And so im a little bit of a sad panda, who just uses faf to relax and unwind.

But please, remember that even though some people dont express their frustration in helpful ways, there are also people, who just love this game and are absolutely awestruck at the dedication you guys put into this community... Thank you for continuing to try to fix this. I hope you find the perfect solution šŸ™‚

Despite all this bullshit FAF is still worth the trouble and I will play it no matter the trouble. I am sure Sanctuary will be great but I highly doubt it will capture my attention the way FAF has and my hope is that FAF is around for another 20 years. I hope others choose to fight through the pain too rather than move to a different game. After reading this whole thread I think the best thing to do is donate to FAF rather than quit.

@dorset Good point! I will do that šŸ™‚

Please guys. If you want to donate for the cause of FAF that is fine. But don't donate and expect and problems to be resolved in return. This is not something we can guarantee.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@brutus5000 Oh i agree, but i have no networking/programming skills or understanding - and thus i can only contribute to that part of the project by donating (and well, nothing is free in this world) and paying a little bit for a game i enjoy a lot... that makes good sense!

And if it isnt fixed, well at least i wont wonder if i could have contributed to changing that in such an easy way šŸ™‚

@brutus5000 said in What is going on with FAF?:

Please guys. If you want to donate for the cause of FAF that is fine. But don't donate and expect and problems to be resolved in return. This is not something we can guarantee.

Absolutely understood. I suppose the better term I should have used is support rather than donate... Support can come in many forms, financial, skill set, or even just positive attitude. All I can do is bring a positive attitude and support the developers by not whining and complaining about the state of FAF every time I log on and I am more than happy to donate financially to a game that I care so much about and spend so much time playing.

It's clear from this thread there is no easy fix so I'm not going to expect the few hundred dollars that I donate a year to instantly change that but it might go towards ensuring our tournaments at FAFLive continue to have great turnouts due to respectable prize pools and that the lights stay on so to speak.

As great as my skill set is in my own life and career it is completely useless for what is required here at FAF but it brings me joy to be able to support financially.