Does anyone use Gaea to build their maps?

yes very interesting....I guess what I basically would like to know is how do you export it from Gaela to open as the map with the terrain levels you created into the Faf Map Editor?

disclaimer I don't know Gaea

but to import into the map editor you need a 16bit ibm bit order greyscale image in power of 2+1

Vault Admin / Creative Team / Map Guru

@oncehandsome Create the terrain, render as .raw at the resolution corresponding to your mapsize (513px for 10km, 1025px for 20km).
Import the .raw file into the editor. You're likely going to have to fiddle with the height of the terrain you've created, as Gaea gives you a lot more room to work with than the FAF editor.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Newest map: luminary.png

I used Gaea to create map for my coop mission. However, my focus was code base rather mapping, so, it is quite poorly looking

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

Thanks Index, I think Im gonna have to wait for your video stream cause I was able to RENDER my map in the FAF editor only to Jpg image and I was able to import it into Gaela and it opened fine (altho some of the mountains/elevations were very spikey looking) but then I dont really know how to use the tools in Gaela to modify the map further......not really sure what to do next.

then how do you get it back to Faf Editor with any new terrain adjustments?

@oncehandsome I've completed the first tutorial on how to use Gaea to create masks. You can find the tutorial in my thread here. The tutorial is a cleaned write-up of my research notes and tests I previously posted in the Mapping-general channel of the FAF discord. I'll write some more tutorials at a later point.

"Design is an iterative process. The necessary number of iterations is one more than the number you have currently done. This is true at any point in time."

Thanks. Index, good read, and informative tutorial.....but quite simply too much work for me. Ill stick to just making maps inside the Faf Map Editor. That is enough work already.....but I do like how you broke down the process with detailed step by step instructions.....very well written with good examples.

@oncehandsome I think you'll find that creating the masks in Gaea is faster and gives you a significantly better result. Just creating a masks for all the cliffs and slopes, for example, takes about 10 minutes from start to finish in Gaea. However, you gotta do what works best for you, of course.

Thanks......maybe i dont really understand the concept of what masks actually do in comparison to how I build a map in the FAF editor........perhaps if u explained or elaborated on the significance of a mask maybe I would better appreciate their value

@indexlibrorum Inb4 Adaptive Millennium Remaster with 30x reclaim exists.

in all seriousness, might take a look over the summer. Making a map seems fun : )

hey now....if u have played any of my recent maps, they are very mild in reclaim