TMM option to hide your opponent's name and rank

What be the point of playing those who you play with on a daily basis and use tactics you know will work on them?

Let's make this a fresh challenge every time.

TMM should have option to (or will outright ) hide your opponent's name (replace it with some random name) and hide rank, so that for each and every game you play on TMM, now you have to truly adapt based how opponent plays. Then at end of win/loss the opponent's name and rank is shown (or is shown in replay).

Keeps things fresh. And prevents players from disconnecting right away if they recognize a player they dont want to play with.

do it in the lobby and remove the foe function

Ofc vena wants that XD

A UI mod should be able to hide the name and rank from the scoreboard

Would need to hide it from the chat as well in case they say 'glhf' or whatever

But that's the fun part. Your opponent can hide behind the randomly assigned nick for that TMM, fake being whoever they like and fool the gullible. Only after the match will both players truly know who they faced off against.

So, what you are telling me is that players are so incapable of changing up their playstyle, that they are only capable of always playing the same 1 dimensional style? Sounds like skill issue rather than technical one.

Like, off all the things you could choose to use in this proposal, you decided to try advocating for TMM anonymity cuz your opponents are bad at the game lmao. I'm sorry, but that's how your reasoning reads. Which is even funnier considering I don't remember you from high rated games which you should be part of if you are so good that by just seeing the name of the opponent you can make an immaculate a plan with 100% winrate against them on each and every map.

As for people quitting? I'm quite sure that some of our trigger happy mods would deal with that in no time.

Yeah I don’t get it. So you’re doomed to go full t3 mex before doing anything in the game as a genetic defect but being an asshole in game chat is simply something you can turn on and off at will? Why can you trick one with the latter but not trick somebody by playing differently?

If people play you rather than the game then that’s a failure of your gameplay. You’re predictable and easy to read so people better than you will farm you because there is no reason to keep tabs on you. You’re the designated gun into suicide player or designated idle until full t3 eco player.

Prove the analysis of you wrong rather than trying to find comfort in making the truth harder to see.

@xiaomao, @FtXCommando I thought the OP was mainly asking for the option to hide names. At least that's the way I understood it, same as people suggesting a UI mod. You 2 are arguing against it being universal. How do you feel about merely having the option?

It being an option is a false choice in the first place. It’s always optimal to give an opponent less information. But by giving people less information you also enable people to be more comfortable in bad, monotone gameplay rather than encouraging diversification. Likewise you simply make game plans decrease in general level because your own team, especially at a higher level, will not know where the weak spots are because you have zero information about who is where unless those people proactively tell you.

@ftxcommando the title of the post is Option to hide your opponent's name and rank (from yourself), not Option to hide your own name from your opponent. Unless I'm missing something, you're talking about the latter?

They're saying the preconception of an opponents strategy gives them a preconception of what to play. Not executed perfectly and not the more optimal strats at higher level play, their preconception of counter play is limited to what they currently know and are able to do, but this preconception can be distracting and can get in the way of trying something else.

The phenomena is analogous overfitting.

Isn't overfitting bad?

Then I don’t get any of the logic in the posts by the OP. Why would anyone try to hide who they are based on somebody potentially having an option to make their name hidden enabled? Why would somebody that doesn’t want to play with specific people and is willing to leave if they see them then desire to hide the names of the people that bother them that much? Nothing about the way those people operate that bothered you changed.

That sounds analogous to solving somebody’s issues with laggers joining his lobby by hiding ping and cpu scores so that they no longer need to worry about kicking laggers.

Well I think the OP explained themselves pretty well. It sounds like they want the option of hiding that info to keep their bias under control or as a challenge. I don't know what laggers and cpu scores have to do with it. I think a better analogy is trying to avoid spoilers before watching a movie, because spoilers ruin your experience by priming your expectations.

I can't be the only one having understood it as such, since why else would people be talking about UI mods to achieve this? Seems unreasonable to me to deny someone this option, even if it's an option you might never use yourself or you don't understand their reasoning for it.

If you have a bias against somebody, it’s because they act like an ass or play ass. Hiding names does zero except delay the realization for you. If you care that much about it to actively be averse to these players, the use of the system is totally incoherent for you. Likewise, hiding any identification of laggers and presenting it as a positive for people paranoid about laggers is incoherent.

I don’t care if it’s some ui mod for a dude, nothing said as an explanation makes sense unless the opponent is aware he is unidentified.

I'm having trouble making sense of your message, honestly. Especially that second sentence - what adversity, and what's this about incoherence? Still can't figure out what laggers have to do with it. What I meant by bias, @ovenman has already explained quite well, by the way.

Even if you don't want to clarify further, at this point, I think I have my answer. You don't care if an option to hide your enemy's name for yourself existed (but you can't understand why someone would want it). Did I get that right?

Community has become very stale, dominated by players who think the old way is always best. Many are even unwilling to listen and think for themselves.

I have given an option to try something new. I think it will lead to the TMM top 10 players ranks shifting drastically, and ultimately an evolution of play-styles as even top players try new things. But if the community isnt ready for this, and wants to keep the old ways for another 20 years then so be it.

Somebody wanna explain how a ui mod that hides player names only for you would result in any relevant meta shift?

I’m also really confused by this. How does you not knowing who your opponent is do anything other than maybe forcing yourself to scout more instead of relying on presumptions of their play style? Which sure that’s nice, but you should be doing that regardless.