Lobby Killer ÖÄÜ

Just for your information. anytime i am in a gamelobby and typ ÄÜÖ or öäü u lose connection and get a timeout.

dont typ ÄÜÖ or öäü

thx

@hoschmosch i try typ that, dont work

i have that multiple times. maybe it depends also on host. in this case it is someone from netherland. i dont know i just guessing

Known issue, it is client related

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

I wanted to look into it and if possible write a fix, but I can not reproduce the timeout/lose connection in my environment. The GitHub issue is a dead end as well.

https://github.com/FAForever/downlords-faf-client/issues/2787

Edit: Maybe it is related to the encoding of the client and the server. When it is different, it will throw an error or so.

If you can provide a log, that would be neat.

@magge it depends on system language afair

“Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
— Steve Jobs.
My UI Mods

@magge This is an encoding issue. It seems that the GPGnet messages don’t get converted to UTF-8. As a result when the server tries to decode them it will encounter invalid bytes which causes it to kill the connection. I’m not sure if it’s the client or the ice adapters responsibility to make sure that the GPGNet messages are reencoded to utf8 before being forwarded to the server, but one of them should be doing it. I noticed this issue by looking at the errors in the server logs. Feel free to message me on zulip/discord if you want to try and fix this.

For anyone else looking for a workaround… in theory you should be able to set your system encoding to utf8. I have not tried this though.