Would you contribute if a company can take it all?

Theoretically speaking, SE would need to have negotiated with FAF to allow vault content owners to "hand off" their contributions to FAF, and therefore the company. This either takes form in how you upload content to the vault, be-it an ammendment to the terms and conditions you accept upon uploading, or perhaps one would need to "submit" your content for validation by an internal SE QA team before it's accepted.

Theoretically speaking, you wanted to create a career for yourself out of making the same content you uploaded to the vault.
Demonstrating that you were able to "hand-off" your work(s) to a large name buisness looks very nice on an application.

So yes, I would be fine with that.
The only way I see SE using that agreement is to capitalise on FAF if it were to "magically" implode in popularity. I dont see that implosion happening, so it's a null change.

@Brutus5000 Thanks for your thoughts!

Forged Alliance would be the most polished game ever and probably sold a 2nd, 3rd and 4th expansion pack + being a major thing in eSports.

Hi @Brutus5000 , thanks for the detailed explanation. Do you maybe have some idea why current owner doesn't want to pursue this? I mean having the game sold to ~2000 players isn't much of a profit compared to giving a game for free and having a large number of users. LOL and DOTA are the most famous with users buying skins and whatnot. This business model could be arranged so that the company and developers (internal and external) cooperate and create additional plugins, modds, skins, maps, voices, models (textures), ranks, ... The economic opportunity is huge. I know I would pay and even be motivated to participate in somethig like this as a developer.

Oh yes, free to play game and then sell 10 maps just for 5€, who wouldnt want to buy that. I mean it wouldnt cost 5€ but 2000mass and you could buy mass for money or gain it from games, would take like half an year to get like 500 mass but you could buy it to get more stuff faster, right? At the end of the day we would make shit ton of cash!

Also I'm not really sure how much skins would sell for, since most of the time you aren't zoomed in closed enough to see them.

Supcom is good because it's complex in the right areas: unit composition, economy, strategy. Don't muddle it. Nor do I think you'll get much bite on that for an RTS. It's not Fortnite — it will never have as many players, because it's not something you can just sit down and win at with only a lifetime of CS:GO backing you. SC2 might have 2 million players right now. Fortnite has 350 million.

Capture.JPG

Maps and textures, sure, but... the community creates those for free right now anyway.

@Brutus5000 The problem with that is that all of the code built off and on this game is in breach of copyright of the original copyright owners, so the license doesn't mean anything. Unless you can demonstrate that it is a work of copyright in its own right, and is not in breach of Supcom FA copyright, which is hard to do in cases of direct modifications.

It basically means that you are liable for everyone that uses your "open source" license, while in breach, unless you have a specific indeminity clause in that license protecting yourself.

Currently if someone took your open source license used it commercially or non-commercially in the context of your license, and got sued by Nordic or whomever, that person can then sue you for your license, unless there are specific clauses of indeminity or limitations.

So might be worth double checking.

@Psions As stated above this only affects the game repository. All other projects were written from scratch.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
– Benno Rice

@Thrash_Abaddon

Square Enix is planning on a Supcom 3 MMO thing. With ongoing support, vast PVP, PVE, co-op, and more!

Right after they get Akira Toriyama to help them finish the next Chrono game. 🤡

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!

@KaletheQuick
Where did you hear this?

Soon™️

@axel12 This was a joke.

The point was Square Enix is sitting on a mountain of franchises and IP, but never used any of them. Like a dragon just sitting on it's gold. People WANT a Chrono game, it gets a 9/10 rating, but its been 25 years and they still don't give a shit. They just churn out more Final Fantasy crap.

You must deceive the enemy, sometimes your allies, but you must always deceive yourself!