Annual Tournament Proposal in Reply to Swkoll

"Pay TDs 20-30 bucks an event so they can buy themselves lunch/dinner + beer or juicebox (under 21 in US, Under 18 rest of the world)" (c)

Personally, I help everyone for the idea, even financially for small tournaments. I think it is not necessary to turn our work as a TD into a commerce for buying beer:D I only speak for myself, maybe others really want to get something in return...

just if someone went to do something not for the sake of the idea, then I usually do not see them for a long time

Makes a lot of sense to me to pay tournament directors and trainers/trainees. They do a lot more for FAF than a player playing a tournament once a year.

Then the question is with a trick - you offer to pay each participant in the organization and quality of the tournament, or only one TD. So I think you understand that any tournament is not the work of 1-2 people, but about 5-6 usually. As a result, $ 20 will already become$100...

You don't think that those who are usually indicated are just them and no one else? 😄

I often face the problem that for the participants of any tournament, they are not enough of the reward for which they spend half a day of time, or even more. And then the organizer will have to serve TD as well. This is labor-intensive and will hit some hard.

In any case, I speak only for myself. I think there are other TD's who also consciously do their job in the shadows and do not ask for anything in return. Otherwise, it will not create a very good environment. More scandals will start, God forbid...

Waiting for the prize lots to be cut 10 times in order to redirect them to the gap, crater, canis, and ze pass tournament and other low quality tournaments <KAPPA>

DONT BELIVE BH HE IS LIEING

@thomashiatt said in Annual Tournament Proposal in Reply to Swkoll:

Makes a lot of sense to me to pay tournament directors and trainers/trainees. They do a lot more for FAF than a player playing a tournament once a year.

Beer for devs when?

You already demonstrated you are willing to work for nothing. Form a labor union or something.

I have no opinion on the tournaments but I do want to ask a few questions with regard to making funds available for people surrounding tournaments, such as a Tournament Director (TD).

I understand it is an idea from a pool of ideas e.g. it may not even be selected at all. But I do think the idea has merit, I just do not entirely agree with how it is applied.

Say we do stick with making funds available for them. This would involve spending money. I think this is something the association should decide on whether they find this desirable. As, if I understood correct, they in the end determine how the funds of the association are spent. @Sheeo could you shed light on this?

One clear issue is when a TD is underage. Giving money to underage people is not something FAF should be doing in my opinion.

As Robustness mentions, I think a TD should not do this for the funds that originate from FAF. Just as much as a map maker should not make maps and then be paid by FAF. I'm just not interested in more drama - this may just be another source. On the other hand, if an individual makes a request and pays someone to be TD or does a commission of some sort then that is fine, as the funds do not originate from FAF itself.

My suggestion instead of providing funds directly to the TD are the following:

• Give the TD the option to spent the funds on another FAF event. As an example with completely no bias at all: they could add the funds to the prize pool of a map tournament.
  • Give the TD after doing X tournaments some 3D print that FAF sends to them as a thank you token, as a complete alternative to receiving funds. The largest cost factor here is package costs - printing these days is pretty cheap.

And last but certainly not least - I think the comment of askaholic is more a joke than a serious answer, but I feel it shows an issue. Will the next creative councillor make funds available for Mod makers? And will the next games councillor make funds available for people that work on the git issues? There are too few mod makers and people that work with the githubs. The precedent this sets is a bit scary, especially because it is part of an election promise. And I don't think making funds available for certain tasks should be part of such a promise. But - I think in general a (phyisical) reward system for long-term contributors would be greatly appreciated - something physical to have on your desk.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@jip said in Annual Tournament Proposal in Reply to Swkoll:

Say we do stick with making funds available for them. This would involve spending money. I think this is something the association should decide on whether they find this desirable. As, if I understood correct, they in the end determine how the funds of the association are spent. @Sheeo could you shed light on this?

Correct.

A budget proposal is being worked on and will be announced when it's ready— I don't have a timeline but I know Swkoll is working on it and is open for input.

@Sheeo @Jip yeah I am simply pooling ideas and seeing if it is feasible as per what was revealed: we do not have all the answers. I agree it is a slippery slope, but maybe it is possible?

@Robustness , yeah, fair points. Hopefully some other ideas come to light or the rest is enticing enough?

The lack of TDs is a really tough problem and will require more than what I wrote above. It would have looked terrible to not suggest anything, though...

I will Say I stopped doing Public FAF Tournaments from the time investment from my end to set up and organise for then players to only get to round 3 do not like who their again and just forfeit the tournament as well as just lack of players willing to play a tournament that does not have a huge prize pool which is a shame that tournaments seem to be how much money is in the pot for me to win. All this has led me to just hosting small Internal tournaments were it all about having some fun and learning a bit of a competitive atmosphere.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

This post is deleted!

I need to rewrite what I wrote in the td concern section as that is a “pool of ideas” and not immediate implementation.

My bad... should have made it more clear it’s being thought out still, hoping to make it less an issue.