Few thoughts about t1 AA and MAA

Following the recent discussions about AA, here's few ideas :

1- Slight buff to cybran static AA
Cybran MAA will be slightly better after next buff, but T1 bombers will still be able to drop their load 100% of the time before dying. Maybe one way to offset this without changing the MAA projectile entirely is buffing the static turret : make it easier to produce (see point 2), or with a unique ability that makes it better than other factions, like a built in 50-60 range radar (t1 radar has 115 range, AA has 45 range). That would enforce its role as a base defender.

2- Static AA could have a lower E cost
Here's one replay : https://replay.faforever.com/14291094
In this situation, if my opponent goes for a bomb on my fac, I have no choice but to build a static turret to scare away the bomber and start producing again. Cybran can also be forced into static AA turret if they want to defend their pgens, becuase of the MAA slow projectiles.
Problem : static AA, while cheap in mass and fast to build is a bit hard on power, and you often want to make them in situation where your power is low, because it's early game or because you're trying to defend against a uef bomber raid on your pgens ..
Solution : make the static AA cheaper in E, like 1500->1000 E for example. For all faction or just for factions with weak pgens/AA (aeon and cybran ?). That way the counterplay doesn't break your eco that much.

3- MAA HP
It has been mentionned in another post ... But the fact that aeon T1 MAA dies to all bombers in one pass is frustrating. A +10 HP boost would be very welcome, it would allow it to tank 1 sera bomb, and overall better chances against uef/cybran bombs.
Otherwise, small rant, UEF's archer having 305 HP .... Ok uef have a chunky army, but being able to tank 4 acu shot shouldn't be allowed 😔

Point one and two. Bombers are woefully ineffective against T1 PD AA. Buffs to T1 PD AA would make it OP. Instead solve problem by decreasing build time on MAA so it can be rushed out if your land factory is getting bombed.
Point three. I agree completely with both points and these changes should be implemented.

I'd like to add a point 4. T1 Bomber turn radius after dropping a bomb is too long and results in suicide. Please revert T1 Bomber BreakOffDistance to 24. As of patch 3718 T1 Bomber BreakOffDistance was increased from 24 -> 32 (33% increase) alongside cost and build time decreases. This crushed the effectiveness of T1 bombers for lower rated players who have other things to worry about (like basic eco control) than microing (or hoverbombing) all their T1 bombers constantly. Also this buffed hoverbombing.

@auricocorico said in Few thoughts about t1 AA and MAA:

Following the recent discussions about AA, here's few ideas :
2- Static AA could have a lower E cost
Here's one replay : https://replay.faforever.com/14291094
In this situation, if my opponent goes for a bomb on my fac, I have no choice but to build a static turret to scare away the bomber and start producing again. Cybran can also be forced into static AA turret if they want to defend their pgens, becuase of the MAA slow projectiles.
Problem : static AA, while cheap in mass and fast to build is a bit hard on power, and you often want to make them in situation where your power is low, because it's early game or because you're trying to defend against a uef bomber raid on your pgens ..
Solution : make the static AA cheaper in E, like 1500->1000 E for example. For all faction or just for factions with weak pgens/AA (aeon and cybran ?). That way the counterplay doesn't rape🙁 your eco that much.

I have been introducing a new player to the game, this is would be of great help for giving new players a better experience.

Thing that happened to him, multiple times, also to me in the past:

1. Air attack
  2. Panic build too many anti-air structures just like in Starcraft 2
  3. "Why am I stalling power -400?"

aeon MAA hp is intentional, especially for 5x5 maps.

Forumpros doing balance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wTcguJZh3A .
When a canis player remembers to build more than 3 units https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjp8xJHuyA .

@Turinturambar explain why that's fair?

Because Aeon has really strong tanks on 5x5 that are weak vs bombers, if their MAA would be as strong as eg. UEF one vs bombers it would be too easy to counter bombers and therefore the aurora would be too strong.

Aeon t1 maa also has more range than the other maa.

@sinforosa said in Few thoughts about t1 AA and MAA:

Aeon t1 maa also has more range than the other maa.

what a meme

@Tagada I disagree about Aurora being to strong if Aeon MAA didn't die in one bomb.
You view games from ~2400 rating.
I view games from ~1100 rating.
We have different viewpoints of the same game.

Disadvantages of Aurora that would remain if MAA was buffed.

• Still dies to one T1 bomber bomb.
  • Still can't raid as effectively as other T1 tanks.
  • Still can't storm PD as effectively as other T1 tanks.

Benefits if Aeon T1 MAA HP was 260.

• Would not die to one bomb anymore (mostly).
  • Theoretically could soak more dmg from T1 tanks (lol).

Hay, you know what, why not make the Aeon MAA extra range (3 units) meme actually useful? Increase by some amount (e.g. 5 units) so it is more effective against bombers but still dies in one hit if you forgot radar. Try this idea.

Also T1 bombers are primarily used (from watching replays and my experience) to kill engineers. Can a change be made to their default target priorities have engi's (or units) > structures?