Bring back 1v1 ladder notification like in python FAF

@phong said in Bring back 1v1 ladder notification like in python FAF:

@thewheelienoob didn't know you were a dev. What game or client features do we have you to thank for?

voice commands

@thewheelienoob that sounds very ambitious, good on you for giving it a go. A lot more respectable than just whining that the devs are working on features you don't want, as many people do. What's your github username?

https://github.com/FAForever/downlords-faf-client/issues/2056
https://github.com/FAForever/downlords-faf-client/issues/2943

Seems like the necessary server code was deleted randomly and/or the issue is just gets closed because TMM exists.

@thewheelienoob that sounds very ambitious, good on you for giving it a go. A lot more respectable than just whining that the devs are working on features you don't want, as many people do. What's your github username?

Voicecommands37

@thewheelienoob can't wait to see how your voice command interpreter parses clown noises, but I'm having a hell of a hard time finding your repository to test it out.

What are your thoughts on area reclaim? You can just say it, no need to beat around the bush right?

Just in case anyone is confused by the mediocre trolling, what the server devs are actually working on is stuff like this: https://forum.faforever.com/topic/7640/the-k8s-journey-one-leap-forward?_=1716553673537

the game, the faf client and the server are different things being worked on by different teams. It sounds like this feature requires changes to the server and the client.

I think the suggestion in the OP is great but if I were forced to choose, I'd rather have a fix for the ddos that affects all players faster. That's probably been the no. 1 issue on the devs' list for a while, not "voice commands" or other such assleakage. That being said, if anyone can and would like to work on this feature I would certainly be grateful.

@thewheelienoob can't wait to see how your voice command interpreter parses clown noises, but I'm having a hell of a hard time finding your repository to test it out.

What are your thoughts on area reclaim? You can just say it, no need to beat around the bush right?

ideally, we can input area reclaim with voice commands

I think the suggestion in the OP is great but if I were forced to choose, I'd rather have a fix for the ddos that affects all players faster. That's probably been the no. 1 issue on the devs' list for a while, not "voice commands" or other such assleakage. That being said, if anyone can and would like to work on this feature I would certainly be grateful.

The kubernetes post says nothing about resolving the DDoS issue. Does it have anything to do with that? If it does then the post is majorly underselling and failing to communicate.

We had ladder notifications 12 years ago with ancient server code and the Python client. It was supported by the server up until https://github.com/FAForever/server/pull/816. The notifications worked in the Python client a couple years ago when I still played FAF and the Python client was usable. My understanding is this pull request removes the functionality in favor of creating a version that works with more than 1v1 games, but that version does not exist yet, so it seems illogical to remove the existing functionality.

I'm not going to play FAF again either way, but this is just past trauma from being forced to use the Java client which is clearly still not at feature parity with the Python client after many more years of development.

@thomashiatt you're right. There are other posts about that topic though, I'm sure. I linked it because I thought it was fresh info on the kind of stuff server devs are doing, as opposed to jacking off like the clown suggested. My comment about ddos is unrelated to the post I linked, just expressing my opinion.

Python client didn't have mapgen or tmm either. Java's not at feature parity, it surpassed the old client a long time ago. I still hope some devs get around to bringing this notification back though.

The code you mentioned was probably removed from the server because the new client was never programmed to react to whatever this code sent it in the first place. A plan was drawn up to modernize this feature instead of implementing it as it used to be. Why go that route instead of writing the necessary code in the new client to support the old notification?

One of the mentioned reasons in the GitHub post is poor understanding of how it used to work in the first place. In such cases it's faster and better to do things from scratch, at least as far as I know.

The option of "keeping it as it used to be" was off the table as soon as python was abandoned, since half the implementation (the client part) was thrown out. Even if the devs had decided to keep using the old server notification system, the feature we both want would probably still not be done and it would take longer to do and it would only work for 1v1 not tmm as well.

I partly understand your frustration since I've also been waiting for a minor server feature for 9 months, although it affects me way less than this affects you.

Server != server.

The server admins (mostly @p4block and I) work on server infrastructure. The Kubernetes change is unrelated from DDoS and was planned long before that.

The lobby server development has mostly stalled after TMM development. Major topics and pull requests have never been finished (for example changes required for Galactic War) and the maintainer has stated his lack of time and long term interest. We had that situation before. Barely anybody wants to take the responsibility of the lobby server code. I can't blame anyone, this community is super toxic if you break something.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice