Pathfinding Issue? Time Stamps and Images to Show

There's a strange interaction (read: usually ending up in unwanted behavior) with commands where pathfinding is not the primary task (reclaim, building, capture, loading, unloading, etc). When the pathfinding aborts then the unit 'assumes' all is good and then tries to execute the task it was set out to do. There's no 'retry' for these commands. To look at your case:

Engineer A (left) assisting engineer B (right)
6eab6afe-a545-49c4-97ee-268aafcf5a68-image.png

Engineer B is reclaiming, but engineer A was not in range yet so navigates to be in range
6e7bff23-4c25-476d-bb5a-69b3fd8ab22d-image.png

Reclaim is gone, engineer B wants to turn back but ends up bumping into engineer A that was still getting in range to reclaim
12049777-0d5f-441e-bc2c-1739ac2ca009-image.png

The 'bump' between the engineers aborts the pathfinding. In this example, the logic of engineer B deems it is ready to build. But the build site is blocked - by engineer B itself! As the logic doesn't 'retry' it ends up being stuck.

This bug you experienced has always been in the game. It just doesn't happen often.

What you can do to alleviate it (in this example) is to use the CTRL + assist feature to not assist the engineer, but instead copy the command queue and apply it to your selection. You can find it in the game options:

e70e0ab4-0a73-42e7-aa6d-c8cd5066c42d-image.png

It is by far the superior approach to assisting engineers when the complexity of the command queue is high

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Interesting, however it is happening a lot more lately...

@Jip so I have been using the "ctrl-assist" and no problems since, but for some reason I have to click engineers or comm a few times to get it to work?

What's up with that?

I don't know how to share other than creating a video but it's super frustrating to have to click something so much as it really distracts.

it works in 1 click for me. There's a 5 tick delay before it is applied, but you can continue doing what you were doing. The selection is stored the moment you issue the callback

@jip said in Pathfinding Issue? Time Stamps and Images to Show:

it works in 1 click for me. There's a 5 tick delay before it is applied, but you can continue doing what you were doing. The selection is stored the moment you issue the callback

What is a "5 tick delay" in layman terms?

half a second

@ftxcommando said in Pathfinding Issue? Time Stamps and Images to Show:

half a second

Ah so that's why I'm going mad... Everything else is seemingly instant.

It's not though 😃 - if you look closely everything has a 5 tick (500ms) delay

@morax @jip

I've read that the game makes things look instant even when it's not

Units look like they move as soon as you give the order, but in the actual simulation, it takes 0.5 seconds before they change direction

The game does this because it would be uncomfortable for the player to give an order and watch nothing happen for 0.5 seconds

Well whatever is going on, it is far more noticeable with this one command.