You have until the 19th of November at 10pm AEST,
To create a mod containing 1 custom unit.
The unit must be a Tech 3 Land Unit.
Post the name of the uploaded mod here.
The unit will be judged by an opinion panel.
The winners will recieve prizes.
1. $50, and The Grand Sculptor avatar.
2. Face of Faction avatar.
3. Logo of Faction avatar
How will units be judged?
This is the first attempt of anything of this sort, and I've come up with completely unique criteria for units to be judged. The aim of this system was to allow potentially newer modders to compete with industry professionals and experienced contributors by placing a focus more on your idea and your creativity. Will the aformentioned experts still have an advantage? Of course - but hopefully this system prevents anyone from not attempting to submit because they feel the tourney is hopeless.
Every criteria will be rated out of 5.
Criteria 1. Quality.
Your unit will be checked over to see if it appears to function correctly, and has rendered properly in the game. If the unit has functions like legs or tracks, I expect them to be animated. If your unit functions properly, you gain full marks. When animations are missing, polygons have not rendered properly, etc. You will lose marks here.
Criteria 2. Adhereance.
I will provide you with a short list of expectations in the additional rules below. How closely those guidelines are followed will determine your Adhereance score. For example In this scenario I have asked you to make a Tech 3 unit, this means that you should be able to compare the unit with other Tech 3 units and assume they're of the same tech level. If a unit ends up being so small one might think it is a T2 unit, or so large that it almost counts as an experimental - you lose points.
Criteria 3. Originality.
Units in supcom fulfill a number of roles, and simply making "another tank" or "another bot" will not net you full marks for your Originality score. You will gain full marks by coming up with a unique idea to the confines of the game. This may mean an entirely new role in an army, or a unit that forces a new playstyle.
Criteria 4. Worldbuilding.
Units should be within a reasonable level of belief that they could have existed in the supcom universe. They should have their own name, a brief description of their lore as did all supcom units at one point, and fit alongside said other supcom units from their faction in an army - instead of being a freak outlier. Doing all of this will net you full marks for your Worldbuilding score.
Furthermore, the unit must to a reasonable point, be balanced to fit in with the supcom factions. I'm not asking you to start crunching numbers to ensure perfect balance, but making a unit that is incomparably superior to all other T3 units will impact this score.
Requirements (And Adhereance score rules)
- The unit must be Tech 3.
- The unit should be able to be identified as a Tech 3 unit from a glance.
- The unit must be a Land unit.
- Amphibious function (Including hover) is permitted.
- Any "role" or weapon/intel system is permitted.
- The unit must "belong" to a supcom faction.
- Making a Nomads unit is allowed.
- The unit must be able to be built from a Tech 3 Land factory
- The factory must belong to a basegame faction (please assign Nomads units to a supcom faction)
- The units must function in the core FAF game.
- The units should be given a unique unit ID so that they can all be used in tandem.
- Any polygon count/vertice is acceptable (pc slowdowns will impact your quality score)
- Texture quality will impact other criteria, as well as the quality score.
- Unique weapon effects in any method will NOT impact your score.
- Unique Strategic icons in any method will NOT impact your score.
- If the unit does not function to a point where it cannot reasonably be judged, it will be DQ'd
- One submission per Mod Author
- Mods already in the vault at the time of posting cannot be submitted.
- Units that are currently a work in progress may be submitted.
- The mod must work if downloaded from the vault as normal.
I hope for this to be the start of another successful tourney series.
The requirements may change over time and if that ever happens, i'll let you know by posting an update in this thread.