adjacency snap

Is it possible to add a slight snap when building stuff if there are benefits to be had from adjacency? Same as mexes have but maybe less range.

I think it would be a very intuitive way to teach the benefits of adjacency and could help with sim city generally, like when building an air grid to avoid off-by-one bad placement (don't know if it's possible to add snap-to-unbuilt-blueprint but would be nice).

Another benefit might be that this snapping could nudge blueprints out of overlap with existing or planned units, this making base building less fiddly.

Maybe it could be off when adjusting queued blueprint positions to allow players to override this snap if desired.

What do you think?

And it probably should not apply to placing templates

I like your suggestion but I'm not sure how we can accomplish this. @Strogo do you have thoughts on it?

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

Another possibility would be to give feedback to the user, for example the outline of a building could flash to a different color like (1) a "good" color if there is adjacency, so it would be like a "thumbs up" or (2) a "bad" color if has no adjacency and it's 1-2 squares away in any direction from having adjacency

The outline of buildings is already a brighter color when there is adjacency.

@thomashiatt said in adjacency snap:

The outline of buildings is already a brighter color when there is adjacency.

Then the effect should be magnified so as to be noticeable

Enable bloom 😏

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I feel like I made a tactical error presenting my argument hahaha

Sometimes a player leaves and the UI bugs out and mex snapping is turned off. Has anyone experienced this? I only mention it because if you have experienced it you know how incredibly annoying it is not to have that snap, which made me realize there's a chance base building could be improved if snapping was more common, not just restricted to mexes and hydros.

Adjacency and occupancy make the most sense as things to snap for, if it can be done at all.
In other words, this is a solution in search of a problem rather than the other way round, @arma473

(The fix for the UI breaking I mentioned is just clicking the ACU select button on the right side of the screen, by the way)