Different Game.prefs for client and game on linux

After installing the game and the client on manjaro there seems to be two different Game.prefs files. One the client uses and one the game uses.

Client pref file path:

/home/<user name>/.wine/drive_c/users/<user name>/Application Data/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance/

Game pref file path:

/home/<user name>/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/9420/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData/Local/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

Did I set up the client and the game incorrectly to cause this to happen? Is there some way to point the client to the one the game works with?

I installed the game by following the instructions in tatsu's video (thanks by the way tatsu for your help!).

I tried editing my client.prefs to point to the one the game loads. However when that breaks the ability to host a game. When I look at the client log it seems like the client is getting a null pointer trying to load the maps list.

If anyone has encountered this and has a fix I will greatly appreciate it šŸ˜„

I have found a work around of just copying mod information from the client prefs to the game prefs. Which has been the only thing stored in prefs I have needed so far. So I can stick to that if needed every time I install a mod

I don't know tatsus video. Are you using Steams builtin Proton? I guess that explains the different folder.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

Yea steams built in experimental proton.

Here is tatsu video I used
https://youtu.be/Rv3ZXA4FNFk

Is there a way to change the Game.prefs file the game uses? Since it looks like the game inits the file on first launch that would hopefully solve my issue

@Nogthar what Distro of Linux are you using ?

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Spock

So far we have no way to set the game.prefs location directly. Someone could add it but there is not much demand for that.
I roughly checked the code and the only point where the game.prefs is required is for
a) an experimental feature to run replays sideways to a game (watch replays while lobby sim)
b) read your last active mods

This should not cause your ability to break the game. We'd need logs to check on why that happens.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

@rowey I am using manjaro

@Brutus5000 I changed the client.prefs again to the path of the Game.prefs the game uses to generate the error log for you. However this time it worked without erroring so I think you must be magic!

So if game settings do not save between game launches on linux. Changing .faforever/client.prefs's "preferencesFile" attribute to the other Game.prefs path might be needed

Thanks @Brutus5000 and @Rowey for your help šŸ˜Š

@brutus5000 said in Different Game.prefs for client and game on linux:

So far we have no way to set the game.prefs location directly. Someone could add it but there is not much demand for that.
I roughly checked the code and the only point where the game.prefs is required is for
a) an experimental feature to run replays sideways to a game (watch replays while lobby sim)
b) read your last active mods

This should not cause your ability to break the game. We'd need logs to check on why that happens.

how is there no demand!!!!
the game throws its files in different places.
something is in the STEAM folders, something is in the wine/proton folder, something is in .faforewer, something incomprehensible and hidden (.com.faforever.client.FafClientApplication) lies in the HOME directory, for some reason this mess is being created: "/home/dav/My Games/Gas Powered Games/Supreme Commander Forged Alliance"

while you put things in order and put everything in one place, the game breaks down... or laziness will win to look for all these configuration files and edit links

there is a demand and some more, it's just indecent to beg.