Should ACU's be giftable units?

It seems like every unit except the ACU is normally transferable to teammates. Should we make a rated lobby option that makes ACU's giftable as well (perhaps with a force-take-back function)? Why or why not?

pfp credit to gieb

When shared armies first appeared, i really wanted it to be that you could control other units but still had your own ACU, but perhaps with this idea is similar enough. I'm sure this could be abused somehow so not sure if should be rated.

Another idea that i think someone else floated but is probably not possible, was a quasi coach position, didn't have an ACU but could jump in and out of different players as needed.

@macdeffy said in Should ACU's be giftable units?:

Another idea that i think someone else floated but is probably not possible, was a quasi coach position, didn't have an ACU but could jump in and out of different players as needed.

Isn't this exacly what shared armies is?

Yes but shared armies is only one starting position with one ACU, unless they changed it? Haven't used it in years. If so i may need to try it again.

Sorry penguin. Didn't mean to hijack thread, just made me think of that.

Should it be gifted - yes

ACU explosions on DC can lose even games because it blows up navy or air bp or land units, sometimes not even the individual’s stuff but just because his ACU was walking through.

Should it be gifted like a unit - no

ACU is supposed to be what controls all your stuff so an army with no ACU makes no sense. Nothing in the games has ever worked like that and I don’t see what it adds to the game in any capacity to treat an ACU like a t3 engie to swap around.

Should you be able to force give it back - hell no

If you have the ability to gift it and went through with gifting it, you have already conceded to the point of treating an ACU like a t3 engie or any other random unit. Just as you can’t force give back any other random unit, you can’t force someone to give you back your ACU. If you gave it, it isn’t yours anymore. That’s why allies can’t capture your stuff and instead require you to give it to them.

So only real points an ACU gift should be possible are:

1. if a dc or quit happened
  2. a person lump sum gave everything they control to an ally (would need to somehow be treated as removed from game so you can’t give stuff back after getting their ACU, though I guess if they got their ACU back then you could give them units or buildings again)
  3. it is the last controllable unit of a person and they surrender it to an ally

Really the first one is the only important one, the others don’t enable anything interesting gameplay wise that can’t already be accomplished.

@ftxcommando said in Should ACU's be giftable units?:

if a dc or quit happened

Wow, that would actually be a fantastic improvement to the game, wonder how possible that would be to implement...?