Improving Share Until Death

Numerous share until death games are ruined by player(s) disconnecting (whether by dropping because of connection problems or crashes, or quitting because of lag, or ragequitting, etc).

So, I suggest that an option be added for share until death games that if a live player drops or quits, the player's units (other than the ACU) are gifted to a teammate and the ACU/units remains alive until killed normally, and the units are linked like they normally are when units are gifted (so the gifted units die if the original owner's ACU dies). If all live players on a team quit, the team would, of course, still be defeated, and all of their units would die at that time, like you would expect.

This change shouldn't add any new exploits, and it would save a lot of games from being ruined by drops/crashes/quits. For those who might claim that this allows a bad player to just quit and gift all of their stuff to a better teammate, I'd like to say that they can do the exact same thing now in full share games. They can also presently gift all of their stuff to a teammate and afk in share until death games. The only real change here is basically that a player disconnecting from a share until death game doesn't automatically result in all of their units dying.

Responses are welcome. The purpose of this post is to get community feedback on this.

If this suggestion is well-enough received, it should be reasonable to implement.

pfp credit to gieb

@emperor_penguin said in Improving Share Until Death:

the player's units (other than the ACU) are gifted to a teammate and the ACU/units remains alive until killed normally, and the units are linked like they normally are when units are gifted (so the gifted units die if the original owner's ACU dies)

How are all units except the ACU transferred, but the transferred units only die when the original owner's ACU dies? Do you want it to just stand in place AFK or what? I think ACU's should be transferrable like any other unit.

@thomashiatt said in Improving Share Until Death:

How are all units except the ACU transferred, but the transferred units only die when the original owner's ACU dies? Do you want it to just stand in place AFK or what? I think ACU's should be transferrable like any other unit.

This is how gifting units already works in share until death games. When the gifted units' original owner's ACU dies, the gifted units die as well. This would use the same system that we already have. Currently, ACU's are not normally transferable. If you want ACU's to transfer as well, that would potentially give an unfair advantage, unless players could also gift ACU's normally. Whether or not ACU's should normally be giftable is something to talk about though, so I just made a thread for that.

So, I am suggesting the "stand in place AFK" ACU if there isn't a better idea that doesn't confer an unfair advantage. However, I am open to ideas for what would be better while still being fair. Regardless, I think even the AFK ACU with gifted units would still be much better than the current system of all the player's units dying when the player drops.

pfp credit to gieb

Well, Full Share was once the default untill people favoring 5 minute games decided it shouldn't...

I'm all for it, but i feel like most people like full share so don't see the point. But i prefer games where being cavalier with your ACU is a gamble that may or not pay off. But i hate how long tech fests are, so I'm in the minority.

Not about the game being a techfest.

Problem is that in high level games it isn’t a gamble. Many teamgame maps require acus in contested zones because of reclaim spread. You don’t go you lose reclaim and therefore the game. A coordinated team can put 2-3x mass into a snipe on these ACUs that have been shooting each other for 90 seconds and kill 25-33% of an enemy team. With share until death, this means you lose as you just entirely collapsed in some area of the map.

This is why share until death’s proclivity resulted in maps like canis, hilly, wonder where any player can close and contain a dead base in 30 seconds alongside all the reclaim with minimal impact from the death.

In any teamgame map more complex than “ecorush your 6-10 safe base mex”, share until death converges to the initial snipe tactic because you simply can’t stop that level of mass investment yourself and you require your team to be just as coordinated as the enemy in making ints, but if you had that level of coordination you would also be doing the t2 snipes because over a long period of games being aggressive lets you control the situation more easily.

This is why sentons share until death devolves into sniping front and flooding the enemy side with spam before they can recover the base, and that’s still a relatively “easy” to recover 20x20.

I realize that not every map or game style is catered towards it or another. I'm aware of the reasons for and against, was just stating my preference. I prefer quick games so i can start another. But I'm also not against tweaking it because I've had good and bad games with both ways and everyone has already argued ad nauseum in plenty threads about it.

If tweaking this at least improves this aspect then it's at least worth it.

This post is deleted!
This post is deleted!