New Forum Section: Map Proposals

@Jip said in New Forum Section: Map Proposals:

@archsimkat Great idea! I was toying with the idea of interviewing some of the top-level players on what makes a map good according to them. The answers would be subjective, which is exactly why it sparks a good discussion to increase understanding. Already had asked some of these people.
Either how, now that I see this I don't see a lot of reason to continue my own journey on the topic .
Great work, would love to see more of it

Hi, please continue. I could not have said it better myself. I think these types of posts could add a lot of value to both map & balance discussion.
I'm relatively new but definitely willing to contribute.

@Stealth9 @Jip In my opinion, including existing maps would be fine if it also met the same post criteria for new map proposals. If this criteria were not fulfilled, my worry is mainly that this section would get inundated with low effort posts that lead to low effort responses. This would of course mean that someone who likely wasn't the original map creator would create a write-up for the map itself, and delve into the background and design philosophy for the map. This is definitely possible though and might prove to be a fun exercise.

Also, I thought I had posted this under the Suggestions section, but I guess not. Sorry Brutus.

@Jip there's no guarantee that this will happen! Even if it does, your interviews to determine what makes a map good is definitely still equally valuable. You should definitely continue regardless what happens with this indeterminate forum section.

I like the idea but seems to lack a general purpose given maps in general can still just be uploaded and say ran as needed when available.

Map Proposal for say always Ranked and/or Ladder Maps seems more the purpose behind why something like this would work on the forum.
Or Tournament Based Map Selection, with new maps or older, custom, edited, etc.

Thanks

I think the purpose is to spark discussion on what a map developer intended and how players interpret it. To try, learn and create guidelines in a more organised manner that allows for open discussion.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@Jip
A Detailed Overview would seem more the interest than a Proposal, especially if there could be some say redirect from the map itself from the vault. Which the conversation my incline the work not to have as such, dont get me wrong, but for a Proposal standpoint would still seem worth all the current work applied still for the thread topic.

having a forum for mappers and high level players to be able to discuss layout and design will be beneficial to all, players get good maps and mappers get their maps played win win

Vault Admin / Creative Team / Map Guru

-> topic moved to Suggestions subforum

At the moment we have the mapping subforum under contribution. I think a new subforum [Map Proposals] under General Discussions could be confusing for new players as it sounds similar.

@Voodoo said in New Forum Section: Map Proposals:

-> topic moved to Suggestions subforum

At the moment we have the mapping subforum under contribution. I think a new subforum [Map Proposals] under General Discussions could be confusing for new players as it sounds similar.

Think this makes more sense now,

Map Proposals under: Mapping, Mapping over Maps/Threads ( In General or Specific )

Maps Proposals take priority of say just the maps themselves and the details as such, per say map under: Map Proposals

Maps within Map Proposal would gain the place to discuss with the posted say Map, as Topic with the Subject of Mapping, for the Title of Map Proposal, think i got this part right.

I'm also not a big fan of adding more and more subforums. Tagging might be an alternative but I didn't find a way to nicely filter forums by tags.
The search can do this but it doesn't look that good šŸ¤” (example: search for tag mapping in subforum tutorials)

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice