Everyone, I do not have a lot of time these days as my job and family have taken much more of my "gaming spirit" hence why I stepped down from running the M&M council last year, but I wanted to make a short post to discuss a matter with the community: a set of high-visibility events for "common" people or "2nd rate players."
The reason? I personally, and many others, are getting a bit weary of seeing events where it is always Nexus, Petric, blah blah blah coming back out of the crevices only to win it all. I have nothing but respect for these individuals and admire their prowess, but it feels empty that people like myself who cannot play enough - or lack the energy after a long week of work and family time - to play at that level.
In eSports and Sports, there are many levels of leagues where you have divisions 1, 2, 3, 4, etc etc. I played competitive paintball for 15 years and although my team was division 2, we had a blast and just enjoyed playing. Does it get all the publicity and sponsorship that division 1 gets? NO! But who cares? This is just supposed to be for fun, and a little extra goes a long way for dedicated community players.
For me, $ is not really the driving factor of playing the game and that goes for many others as well: we just want to play and have fun, sometimes in an tournament-style setting. The problem is simply that we always end up getting crushed by some super stars and it makes the experience very off-putting. I think for the past 3, maybe 4 years, I have not seen a single 1v1 event that was not catered to top level talent and ONLY them. There are too many "invite only" or "we will let you play if someone is sleeping / not really available" situations for anyone less than the top 20...
For a community with such a loyal following for a game that has been updated to nearly as good as it can, I find this really disturbing.
TMM was the one reason I wanted to keep playing to give this all a chance, but with the recent rating reset, some insanely large rating differential allowance in matchmaking, and a horrible redundancy of maps played, it got quite bad. I can barely get anyone to play without begging, and often there is no match made.
SO, from this point on I sadly have to say unless there is some real creativity put forth to the events system for all levels, I cannot see myself giving my own donations to boost the prize pools further.
Rather leave without saying anything further, I would like to make the following suggestion mostly to discourage rating manipulation:
1600-1900 (give or take maybe 30-50 pts close to event):
- Minimum of 50 ladder games a month to ensure no manipulation is at hand
- Check players that deviate more than 150+ points in short time spans and evaluate if there is some kind of issues
- Minimum of 500 ladder games total to ensure it is not a smurf (common problem with events that are less than "open invite")
- No prize pool $ other than avatars and maybe some other perks - this is supposed to be for people who simply enjoy playing the game and do not need a monetary motivation
- DO NOT USE the ladder league system. WHY? Because it does not make sense to allow 0 point hit for a loss. There are people like demonstreamer who have taken first place in the under 1800 league simply because they spam games with more losses than actual wins. This should be a league for people who actually win and get in rather show an absurd playtime. You would think playtime = improvement, but when it does not, there is a problem...
- No event bracket styles that last longer than one day. Many of us do not have time in our schedules to play for weekend after weekend for 5-7 hours and just want a nice, quick event for fun.
Prizes could be something like the classic "training from so and so" or "choose maps for the LoTS event" etc etc.
I really do not see how it is possible FTX and the rest of the council have not thought of ANYTHING to remedy this severe lack of play in the community for years running now.
A lot of respect to FTX for his work as of late, but if we do not see SOMETHING soon I would like to run for Player Councilor and attempt to try something different, because we as a community need to try different things, iterate, and get better.
Just want to have fun.
Be well, all.