Sunlight Mapping Tournament (#7, 2v2, 10km)

Rowey has kindly offered $35 to sponsor this tournament.

You have until the 20th of April.
Create a 10km map,
Make it 2v2, and in a summer/spring/early fall theme.
And post the name here. The best authors will recieve prizes.

Prizes:

1. $35 and the Grand Sculptor Avatar
2. Face of Faction Avatar
3. Logo of Faction Avatar

This is pretty standard for mapping tournaments. However rules dictate that you should create a map that is in a summer/spring/early fall theme. This implies a vibrant, sunny evergreen map. Creating maps that revolve around the summer/spring culture of a certain nationality are also fine, but:

A: If i can't tell it's a sunny theme from first glance, it still bombs out on the score.
B: make sure to let me know.

I'm adding a simple 4th score to ensure the theme is met. If you submit a map that isnt of this summer vibe, you score a zero and will probably not win this tournament.

This is on top of the basic Asthetics / Gameplay / Variance score we've used in the past.

Please note that adding custom props will help to boost your asthetic score as well as your "theme" score *if relevant), this is to help assist the new prop initiative mentioned here. and to reword you for your effort if you do decide to contribute.

Also, the map must be 2v2 and 10km. Nothing else will be accepted.

Usual stuff below:

Rules:
You may only submit one map per author.
Maps already in the vault at the time of posting may not be submitted.
Maps that are currently in progress may be submitted.

Content is judged by an opinion panel, and like last time I expect that panel to consist of high level players, FAF councilors, and Ladder Team members. To avoid conflicts of interest, opinions of users who have also entered into the competition will not be considered.

There are still mutiple objective requirements. Make sure your content abides by them. Any map found to not meet these requirements will be instantly disqualified and I will not be showing any leniency.

• No Mass Deposit or Hydrocarbon Deposit limit
  • No Decal, Prop, or Strata Layer (texture) limit.
  • Textures missing normal maps, or with an albedo map instead of a normal map unless in very specific cases will be considered a "broken" map, and be disqualified.
  • Any map name is permitted. Remember to abide by the client rules.
  • The map must function correctly in the vault/lobby and be completely free of bugs.
  • Furthermore, the Mass/Hydrocarbon Deposits must be placed on their decal correctly, and must not be misaligned.
  • The map must be balanced for competitive play.
  • Minor misalignments will be overlooked. Intentional unbalances will result in a DQ.

I want to have more than just myself judge tournaments. PM if you're interested and NOT competing.
See you in roughly two months.

A quick question about these two:

• Minor misalignments will be overlooked. Intentional unbalances will result in a DQ.

Does that entail that the heightmap must be symmetrical or can there be caveats here and there where the symmetry is not completely correct?

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

@Jip said in Sunlight Mapping Tournament (#7, 2v2, 10km):

A quick question about these two:

Does that entail that the heightmap must be symmetrical or can there be caveats here and there where the symmetry is not completely correct?

I'm not going to DQ maps that have minor things that dont actually matter. Huge issues like players being able to walk over a mountain on one side are, of course, out of bounds.

assuming adaptive maps will be fine? just judged on 2 v 2 options?

Vault Admin / Creative Team / Map Guru

@MadMax said in Sunlight Mapping Tournament (#7, 2v2, 10km):

assuming adaptive maps will be fine? just judged on 2 v 2 options?

yes

For the "custom props," as long as credit is given to the source, can we use free model content so long as it has a proper blueprint and does not degrade performance in the game?

Yes, but please make sure that I know it's free model content.

Up to what extent can you ask help from other (potential) competitors? I am asking because I've asked someone to edit a few buildings into props and that person happens to be a competitor too.

If they're aware that their advice may damage their chances, meaning they know this is for a submission, it's fine

9 days remain, make sure you post the name into this thread before said date, even if youre finished already.

putting finishing touches on my map but I'd like to submit Adaptive Cherry Blossom Valley

Adaptive millennium valley. The map is being finalized.

Adaptive Gornyak Gornyak1.jpg

here's a link to my map read the readme inside the folder for instructions on how to get the custom props to show in game

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kBVJweSFAX5pmoavzsLSq7rL8cuFapJz?usp=sharing

some screenshots from my map Screenshot 2021-04-19 085606.png Screenshot 2021-04-19 085402.png Screenshot 2021-04-19 085439.png Screenshot 2021-04-19 085519.png

Please have your submissions in by 25 hours by now.

If you have custom props in your map, please upload the map folder itself with said props here. Uploading a second version without any props to the vault is also fine.

Fall Ziggurats
Download link with custom props: https://anonymousfiles.io/OJBl3GvD/
1d25aab0-c0be-4297-96e6-a69de5c27344-image.png
6284952b-66d9-428e-94b0-3437cebf7bea-image.png
6a2db5a3-144d-4e5c-a84a-270ba8820eaf-image.png
63163cd0-a48b-4629-9451-1b43a578a0cd-image.png

pfp credit to gieb

Submitting Kaali 🙂

All screenshots are taken in-game on highest settings (including bloom renderer). There are no custom props. The theme of the map is that a meteoroid introduced an alien pathogen, slowly consuming the environment as it spreads through the underground water reservoirs.

In turn, lower parts of the map are grey. Medium-high parts are green / brown / yellow and high parts are green. These serve as a visual cue to interpret the map easier.

In addition an experimental feature: cliff build locations. One can be seen on the left on the second image (preview-1). The idea is that it provides a guaranteed location for a factory to be buildable from across the cliff for a commander. Some are also buildable for engineers.

With thanks to @archsimkat for the extensive discussions and to @blodir for additional feedback. To give a glimpse of those the discussions, at some point Archsimkat even made these:

text.png

Where you can see the original design (without the water), that started as a 10x10 naval map 🙂

Hour or so late but the submissions are now closed.

I want to find a couple other people to give judgement so please be on hold for the results.

I know you're all waiting on the results, you probably thought this post was it, but it's just an update.

I have only one or two left to judge. My rationale has been more extensive than ever in order to compensate.

alt text

I'm still looking for more people to judge the maps so if you're interested (and have not assisted in any submission) please let me know. I hope to have the full reviews out very soon. Sorry about the wait.