M28AI Devlog (v126)

@maudlin27 I think that's the reason for the problem. The experimental shield in the MOD is larger than the normal shield SIZE. This resulted in M28 not building them.
It should be noted that I remember that the M28 built these larger experimental shields in previous versions. But the problem started with some recent version (sorry, I'm not sure which one).

@maudlin27

Sure. After the game crashed, It didn't show the reply right away in the replay list.

I think this is the one.

https://replay.faforever.com/23113989

@lightwire said in M28AI Devlog (v119):

Thanks, the 'table index is NaN' error message looks like an issue with the map where a building got destroyed off-map/something strange happened (as the position of the building in the engine shows as an infinite value), I'll add a check for that in the next update so it doesn't cause a bunch of error messages with M28's logic.

Don't know if it would have contributed to the crash or not; I'd have thought it plausible lots of error messages could make a crash more likely, but my change won't necessarily help that as the unit mods being used were generating lots of error messages themselves prior to that point.

v120 Update
19 changes, mostly relating to minor bugfixes, including:

• New asf/intie hover-micro to increase DPS when targeting slower enemy air units such as transports
  • New higher priority T1 and T2 radar builder where M28 has a significant force of longer ranged units that lack radar coverage
  • Fixed an issue for water zone assignemnt in the small area surrounding an island that led to some strange zones on white fire
  • 4 LOUD/mod changes, including support for upgradable t2 pgens, and observation satellite

Acknowledgements

• Lightwire – Replay where a map issue caused repeated M28 error messages
  • Azraeel – LOUD replay
  • Fertgl – Replay where a megalith got stuck

@zhanghm18 said in M28AI Devlog (v120):

@maudlin27 I think that's the reason for the problem. The experimental shield in the MOD is larger than the normal shield SIZE. This resulted in M28 not building them.
It should be noted that I remember that the M28 built these larger experimental shields in previous versions. But the problem started with some recent version (sorry, I'm not sure which one).

@maudlin27 hi, I would like to ask if the construction of the larger experimental shield will be solved?

@zhanghm18 No, I've no plans to support construction of shields that are larger than the normal size

maudlin, I've tried to generate a replay showing the ACU doing nothing except for running in circles when the ACU is the M28's only unit in the game. Replay #23151227
I've deactivated all mods except for M28, Total Mayhem, and Black Ops. I hope this one works without desyncs. The interesting part starts around 00:50:00.

@hammi Thanks, looks like an issue where if you kill its part-complete land factory when it's trying to rebuild its base and it has no other factories it doesn't try and rebuild it, it'll be fixed in the upcoming release

v121 Update
Special logic for selens added, along with 14 other changes:

• Selens should try and hide near enemy mexes to ambush unsuspecting engineers
  • Fixed various bugs, including one that would break M28 on Dawn (FA mission 2), and a bug with its T1/T2 radar construction logic that could break its engineer logic.
  • Increased the proportion of tanks to get relative to T3 mobile arti if M28 gets lots of T3 mobile arti
  • 8 LOUD related changes, including stopping building experimental resource generators if it has one, unit prioritisation adjustments, T2 sniperbot enhancement upgrade, prioritising cheaper experimentals over expensive ones, and fixing a bug that meant M28Easy (non-AIX version) wouldn’t work.

Acknowledgements

• QAI3000 – replay with errors in Coop on FA M2 Dawn
  • Tematus – Replay/screenshot where M28 had a 0 health air staging unit
  • Azraeel – Various LOUD replays including on wip versions of M28
  • J.w.w – noting M28Easy fails to work in LOUD
  • Hammi – Bug where M28 didn’t rebuild its base after losing it

Thanks, Maudlin. The AI now reliably builds a single land factory after losing its base. But then, nothing happens. Replay (again with some mods enabled, hopefully without causing desyncs): https://replay.faforever.com/23163222

@hammi said in M28AI Devlog (v121):

Unfortunately the replay desyncs for me so I can't investigate. If I was to guess, it's got T3 mexes left over but no pgens and so is stalling power

There was nothing left, just the ACU. It built a land factory first and then just went around in circles, never building a power gen or a mex. (ACU was in its spawn point with mex spots around it.)

What's meant to happen is the land factory builds an engineer, and that engineer builds the power gen and/or mexes. ACU behaviour is expected since it will by that stage of the game should be terrified of anything that moves and wants to just run instead of spend time building anything (unless enemies get near to it where it might attack them).

With UEF it works (although the AI tends to build one offensive unit in the land factory before it builds an engineer). With Aeon, not so much: https://replay.faforever.com/23171674

This post is deleted!

Hey Maudlin,

are there any other differences between the M28 and M28easy other than the "dodge micro" or is the general micro better on M28?

Do you have any experience on what maps the M28 is the most agressive? On the more normal maps, the M28 often stop attacks after T1 and then it starts again with T4.

It should use T1-T2 and to a lesser extent T3 on most maps, particularly if 1v1, so I'm guessing it's your particular playstyle that leads it to doing that but without a replay I couldn't tell. E.g. I'd expect if you pick any 5km or 10km (and probably also 20km) map in the current mappool it should be getting T2 land.

M28Easy disables various other micro not just dodge micro (which can now be done separately via game settings as well). For example, air units shouldn't use hover-attacks; units shouldn't kite; it doesn't handle power and mass stalls as well (re pausing and unpausing units), engineers dont reclaim hostile units near them, etc.

This post is deleted!

v122 Update
New hybrid AI option - you can now have M28AI take over control of any or your units (temporarily or permanently). To enable, set the "M28AI: Combined human-AI armies?" option in the lobby game options to "Yes", and then click on the M28AI icon on any selected units you wish to enable the logic:

7d49d846-cd46-4411-948c-b70d41df8663-image.png

If you encounter any issues (or if you use it and it works as expected) please let me know as I've only done limited testing of the feature.

[Edit: I’m aware of issues with this feature not working properly which I’ll be looking into shortly]

13 other changes made, including:

• Adjustments to experimental selection, in particular for the first few to make it more likely the cheapest experimental gets built
  • 1 LOUD specific change relating to units on attack-move that in LOUD end up moving far inside their normal range (so M28AI should now manually attack units)
  • M28Easy should consider moving units towards the enemy if they have t1 arti (instead of attack-moving)
  • ACUs should go back to the initial build order if all factories end up being destroyed (previously they'd just rebuild a land and air fac and then go back to standing in base)
  • Optimisation of logic for tracking mobile units with long ranged missile attacks (e.g. nuke subs) so it takes less than 10% as long to run with large unit counts

Acknowledgements:

• Nomander – suggestions for getting AI button to appear on selected units
  • Azraeel – various LOUD replays (although I only managed to get through 1 for the changes in this update, but I’m hoping to work through the others in later updates)
  • Emerald – replay where M28 suffered performance issues with lots of nuke subs
  • Penny – posting a couple of replays against M28Easy

v123 and v124 Hotfixes

Fixed a couple of issues with the shared human-AI army feature/AI assistant not working on certain maps, along with the following smaller changes:

• Fixed a typo with the label of the shared armies option in LOUD
  • Fixed a rare issue if units died a fraction of a second before logic for the zone they were in was about to run
  • Naval facs should be more likely to build subs if the enemy has a limited anti-naval threat relative to their anti-surface threat
  • LOUD naval facs should be more likely to upgrade than before (while more generally they should upgrade sooner if faced with torpedo launchers)

Acknowledgements

• Fearghal, Tematus and chucups - replays with issues involving the shared armies (and in the case of Tematus noticing an incorrect 'mouse-over' description in LOUD for the game setting).