Bug when changing maps&mod folder

I just logged in to FAF and got a message than my maps and mods folder where currently backed up by OneDrive and that moving them was recommended.

So I (logged in) and went to settings etc. and changed the adress. NOTE: I typed the string, I did not press 'choose'

Result: FAF client error.jpg

Or in text: It created a lot of empty folders. It did not transfer the files (I did that manually).

I also did, and still do, pray to all the gods and devils that the FAF app didn't delete any files. Also sent a curse in the general direction of your developers.

In seriousness: This was a tad amusing and very many tads unamusing. Fix it?

If I'm not back later today/tomorrow to yell at you some more it's probably because my PC got toast. Or that I forgot. That happens too.

Just to clarify: This is not a joke post on my part.

Kind regards, you silly goofs.
Argor

@argor said in Bug when changing maps&mod folder:

I typed the string, I did not press 'choose'

Can you clarify this step, please? Did type the path manually in the explorer - Maybe even pressed enter?

Can I add image here

No, I can't. Ok; word time:

In the FAF client: Settings —> Forged Alliance Forever and then edit the string in "Maps and Mods Location".

Could it be that the client creates a new folder each time I entered or deleted a character?

@argor said in Bug when changing maps&mod folder:

Can I add image here

If you click the Reply button at the bottom between the 👁 (View) icon & the "Mark unread" button, you'll be prompted with a window that will allow you to add images. The quick reply function doesn't have that ability.

FAForever Settings.jpg

I typed in the red dotted field. I assume that could be the cause of this, but I'm not a professional programmer 🙂

Thank you very much for providing an image.

Well, I successfully recreated the issue, by typing "test" into the location field - and for every char it went instantly crazy with the folder structure. I am surprised, I have never heard about that side effect in the last years.

Possible solution without seeing the code: IMO, as a quick-fix, do not allow a user to type anything in both fields (But allow copy via CTRL+C), until it gets fixed - manually choosing only.

I will raise an issue later/tomorrow on GitHub about that.

Edit: https://github.com/FAForever/downlords-faf-client/issues/3160

bf516ebf-9918-4bf9-af6b-60e293d20fad-grafik.png

Thanks, magge!