LOADS of desync's lately

Just lately (so back end of May, early June - worse than ever) has been SO MANY desyncs in replays it's not even funny. Not sure if anything can be done about this, or what's caused the sudden spike.

Until about 1-2 weeks ago, when I review replays (either sent in or from the vault) about 10-15% or so would desync to the point the game / replay went off course (let's call them destructive desyncs) vs the 5% or so harmless ones.

I occasionally read in game chat, a regular taking charge and says something to all players in game, akin to "Just kick MrSuchAndSuch, he has connection issues and isn't coming back"

This seems to occur more often in the few moments following an ACU death. While this has always been the case, it never has been to such an overwhelming majority of replays, until this last week.

During this time, I have reviewed about 10 games that were shaping up to be good "castable grade" type games, and 9 of them got canned due to the destructive desyncs.

I'm not sure how much of these is due to a "bug" or "new bug" that can be put right, vs something outside of FAF control (ie new windows update/drivers somehow causing this) or how much is simply due to the way players quit the game, after they have been killed, or some dodgy UI mod etc.

If anyone got any ideas on what can help (or what NOT to do etc) as well as any FAF coders that may know of some recent change (or a new UI mod / UI mod update, that may somehow be corrupting these games etc) then let us know. It's gonna really cause a dip in quality castable games, from everyone not just me, while so many are written off.

Cheers

@xsdna afaik, the hosting company FAF used to use was being pretty shitty and changes are being done to get into even better seevers

FAF Website Developer

@femboy said in LOADS of desync's lately:

@xsdna afaik, the hosting company FAF used to use was being pretty shitty and changes are being done to get into even better seevers

We did not switch the company when renting new servers and we never claimed that the company was shitty.
There is a multitude of issues potentially causing this. Changes in game code. Changes on FAF infrastructure. Issues on hosting company side. Changes in windows (or chrome on login)

We received your feedback. But as of now we still don't know why quality dropped and can't turn it into action.

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice