Can we adjust loading acu onto transport?

It's pretty much happening in the engine - sometimes the transport moves to the ACU - and sometimes the ACU moves to the transport. I have never found any reliable means to control it via code.

Damn, i live in hope though!

Seems you can control this by first loading in the ACU, and then the rest of the units in a separate selection

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I think the post is about when telling ACU alone to get on the transport, without any other units involved, the transport itself lands half a kilometer away instead of near the ACU, forcing the ACU to take the scenic route to get onboard instead of landing on top of it and getting it airborne ASAP like the player would want

Is the solution to give the transport a move order over the ACU, then queue an order to load the ACU, and if you have time to micro it, delete the move order at the appropriate time to speed things up?

@arma473 said in Can we adjust loading acu onto transport?:

Is the solution to give the transport a move order over the ACU, then queue an order to load the ACU, and if you have time to micro it, delete the move order at the appropriate time to speed things up?

No, because when you inevitably do give the 'load' order, the transport looks for unobstructed terrain (no other buildings, sometimes even units) from which it can pick up a unit (which is, from experience, about 150% of the radius of the unit size). So unless some big changes are done to hitboxes or general functionality of transports, I don't think there is a solution to the general problem of "transport waits in Malaysia to pick up units from France".

The exact same logic is used in dropping units, in that the area must be clear - and some engine based mechanic is deciding that. There is a regular pattern to it - which you can see if you have several loaded transports - and you order them to drop at a given point - they'll spread their drop points out.

@mach said in Can we adjust loading acu onto transport?:

I think the post is about when telling ACU alone to get on the transport, without any other units involved, the transport itself lands half a kilometer away instead of near the ACU, forcing the ACU to take the scenic route to get onboard instead of landing on top of it and getting it airborne ASAP like the player would want

I've never observed that behavior - the transport always ends up in the center of the units you had selected when you issue the transport order.

A work of art is never finished, merely abandoned

I think the issue hes talking about is about loading up your acu in a trans when hes in the middle of a base. The transport cant find any space so lands outside so the acu has to walk to it and gets stuck in pathfinding hell for 2 min.

A clearer example is when u t1 trans rush at the start of a game, prep by moving all your engies to 1 side so theyre all together and load them up, but then the trans sees a nice empty spot on the other side of the fac. U manually move the transport back ontop of the engies and queue the order again and this time it lands right next to them.

@thewheelie said in Can we adjust loading acu onto transport?:

I think the issue hes talking about is about loading up your acu in a trans when hes in the middle of a base. The transport cant find any space so lands outside so the acu has to walk to it and gets stuck in pathfinding hell for 2 min.

Yes! Eg - poop is about to hit the fan in your base and you need to get your acu out of there. Thankfully you had planned for this eventuality and a t2 transport is on standby. Quickly you command your acu to climb aboard the transport expecting a quick exciting and dramatic escape from certain doom..

BUT.....

instead the transport raises itself straight up into the sky and hovers there, having covered no distance at all to your acu. And your acu must navigate around the buildings and your engineers as it blindly bounces around like a drunk pinball looking for the meaning of life.

Shortly thereafter your acu dies as the enemy casually works its way towards your prized acu while taking in the local sights, snapping some social media pics and possibly reading the complete works of shakespeare.

Your naughty t2 transport thankfully recieves punishment for it's utter uselessness as it dies shortly after your acu. Sadly, death denies it any possibility to learn from it's mistake in the future.

Seriously - the transport flies and has a fast movement speed. When any single unit is to be loaded can it move immediately over to the unit and load the passenger??

And that really is the issue - the code has no control over that behavior. The only workaround to avoid it is to order the transport to the location - and then - use the transport command. You can, of course, stack those orders with the shift key.

@sprouto said in Can we adjust loading acu onto transport?:

And that really is the issue - the code has no control over that behavior. The only workaround to avoid it is to order the transport to the location - and then - use the transport command. You can, of course, stack those orders with the shift key.

Yeah I mean if that's the only solution then fair enough. I just wanted to ask if there was anything that could be done, if not then so be it - thanks for the definitive answer, I do appreciate the faf devs are limited by the original game code😊 👍

I wish there was more information to give on the subject - but there simply isn't. Unlike many games, a great deal of the code base is exposed for us to work with, but not this part.

Simple, remove collision checks in the area around the transport for 0.2 seconds when the transport is trying to find a pickup spot

Then when the unchangeable part of the game code looks at the pickup spot to decide if it is too cluttered, it will assume that the pickup spot is clutter free, and allow the pickup to occur

I'm sure nothing bad will happen from making a fix this way

lol - if only we had that level of control. We don't see anything about the transport process.