Transport-behaviour

Serious question - I think it's nothing new that transport sometimes unload units instantly and sometimes it takes ages for them to unload anything, no matter if the terrain is flat or not (I've tested that on some flat maps, the times were still not consistent) or if it had the drop-command for a long time or a second ago.
For the game experience that results in a RNG-like feeling. 1-2 seconds don't matter that much once the game went on for a bit, but for the first few minutes where players expand with transports it's definitely a huge difference if your transport manages to drop 6 engis in time while getting shot down or if it hovers a couple of seconds resulting in death.
I don't really have a "perfect" replay to show even though I'm sure it happened dozen of times, but just to get a sense of what I'm talking about: #17108149. I played fcking bad there, not talking about that, but either my feelings were wrong there or the transport just hovered for quite some time resulting in its death.

To get to the point: Can someone explain to me how it comes to the different times? Is it due to the ingame-ticks or smth else and more importantly, could it be fixed somehow or is it just smth to live with?

Required rating for participation in balance talks when?

Skill issues

If you change the drop location at the last moment close to where your transport currently is then it takes longer to drop. If you don't change the drop location then it'll drop as fast as it should.

@unknow @TheWheelie
hmm.. then my feeling might just have been wrong there.. I'll try to leave the commands as long as possible and keep an eye on that. tyty!

@thewheelie said in Transport-behaviour:

If you change the drop location at the last moment close to where your transport currently is then it takes longer to drop. If you don't change the drop location then it'll drop as fast as it should.

But on Ozone it will still drop shit at the wrong island...

I now usually drop in the water... at least it won't fly on it's own to the other side of the sea...

I'm talking about the speed of the drop, not the accuracy of the drop location

I know. Just dumping slightly related stuff in here.

It's not related to what i said so don't quote me then

@jcvjcvjcvjcv Yeah that's mostly due to the terrain. The factions also behave differently there, e.g. on the Map "Pyramid" there is the small plateau with one mex at the top. As far as I know only Aeon can drop it since the other factions need a "larger" drop location.
Same for Ozone Island, I remember the map having more hills on some islands, since transports don't drop on them they keep dropping somewhere else. A fix for that is (if you have time) to try to drop at location X, if the transport wants to fly away, give it a new command to a nearby location on the island. Repeat that after it finally drops.

I can also be wrong though, not 100% sure with that

Since we are discussing transports, how do I load a lot of units to a lot of transports fast? Because SHIFT+RMB - like in other RTS games - does not work.

@melanol said in Transport-behaviour:

Since we are discussing transports, how do I load a lot of units to a lot of transports fast? Because SHIFT+RMB - like in other RTS games - does not work.

The ferry command is probably your best bet. Select a lot of transports, move them to the pickup spot, click "ferry" in the lower left, then your dropoff spot. Optionally, hold shift before the last click to add waypoints.

Once the transports settle at the pickup spot, the "ferry" icon will appear on the ground where they are located.

You can then select as many units as you want and order them to move to the ferry icon and they will automatically be transported.

Also optionally, do it with only one transport, then set others to assist the ferry icon once it appears.

Also, if you set transports to assist factories, they will transport units to the factory's destination.

I believe there is also a selection mod that will load many units into many transports without using the ferry command, but I don't recall what it is at the moment.