Error You linked this account already to user with name

Thanks, that helps. Interesting enough, Caipirinhapilot seems to have a global rating, Caipirinha_Pilot has NULL. The dates make sense, I created Caipirinhapilot originally back in 2015, then I remember renaming it. The question is here: What happens if you rename a user? Does the old user still exist with a database entry?

None of those users have been renamed with a name Caipriniha. And when you rename a user you cannot take a name another user has

It is important to note that Caipirinha is not what we are talking about, that is a completely different user (such a common name was already taken obviously) Caipirinha shows up in the JSON output because of the search term.

We are only talking about the users Caipirinha_Pilot and CaipirinhaPilot.

Yes I understand that's why I didn't include it in my post

You have the exact same name here as your FAF account name.
Your steam account name is completely irrelevant to FAF. All we care is that you verified you own the game. Might this be the source of confusion?

"Nerds have a really complicated relationship with change: Change is awesome when WE'RE the ones doing it. As soon as change is coming from outside of us it becomes untrustworthy and it threatens what we think of is the familiar."
ā€“ Benno Rice

But how can that ever be? I'm Caipirinha_Pilot, yet the steam linking is by the account CaipirinhaPilot, NO UNDERSCORE (like the error message says and that is not the steam name, but the FAF name)
If I log into here by using the name CaipirinhaPilot (and the associated email: [email protected]) it works (also on the FAF client), BUT if I use Caipirinha_Pilot (and [email protected] associated email) I get an internal server error.
So there are 2 accounts that are still very strangely connected, yet not.

The accounts are in no way connected. They are two separate accounts

You linked your account the no underscore account to steam so that is the only one you can login and play with

So how do you explain my username here??? See on the left: With an underscore? Yet when I'm logged in with the FAF client, it is with the one without underscore?
And when I'm logged into the FAF website (not the forum), it is also without the underscore? (I can send you a screen shot if you don't believe me)
I have been a system administrator on Linux for 10+ years, so I do know a little about these things and they do seem to be connected in a way or another.

I did reset the password in the caipirinha_pilot account, yet when trying to log in, it crashes the faf websession with "internal server error".

It is working now, I can log in with the FAF client, BUT I know this might cause problems in the future (like it did now when it told me that I had to confirm the steam linking and it refused to do it first)

The internal error is likely unrelated. Would need to know which portal you are logging into when you get that error.

You do not need proof of game ownership for your account to be able to log in and post on the forum. So you can log in with C_P and post here.

In order to log into the client, lobby server, and play the game you do need to have proof of game ownership. This is why only CP can login to the client. C_P cannot because it is not linked, it also cannot be linked to your steam account because each steam account can only be linked to one faf account.

You can log into the forum with CP and then you can post as that user. The accounts themselves share no data between them in our databases. It is probably only logging you in here as C_P because you have remember me set.